Technical Lead, Data Infrastructure Engineering
The Data Infrastructure team builds the infrastructure responsible for consuming, exposing and creating product and product-derived datasets. This team owns the pipelines that transport and process database data from all of Asana’s product surfaces. We build and operate the infrastructure and services that ensure data accuracy and data availability for stakeholders in Data Science, Business and feature teams.
We are looking for an engineering lead who can provide technical leadership and strategic direction for our data platform. You will be responsible for the delivery and technical quality of our programs, taking on complex multi-year projects, and lead the work of several ICs. You’ll also partner with cross-functional stakeholders to drive initiatives forward, and mentor team members in technical design, project leadership, and running team processes.
What you’ll achieve
- Own the core data pipeline and be responsible for scaling up data processing to meet the rapid data growth at Asana
- Some upcoming technical challenges you may work on include scaling our data ingestion pipelines across a growing number of AWS data centers, reducing the latency of our product data ingestion pipelines through moving batch jobs into a streaming architecture, and extending our data lake architecture for the growing ecosystem of data ingestion and creation tools at Asana
- Design, build, and operate streaming and batch services used by all of Asana
- Collaborate across organizational boundaries to ensure the shared roadmap and streamlined delivery of features
- Mentor engineers on the team and build high quality engineering practices
- Design and implement tooling and automation for clustering, scaling, monitoring and alerting
- Participate in the on-call rotation, investigate, and resolve production problems
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, a related quantitative field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of industry experience with a background in data infrastructure engineering
- Experience in a lead role and/or organizing team processes
- Experience in developing ETL jobs using a distributed processing framework
- Experience with our tech stack - Scala, Python, Spark, Airflow, Kubernetes, AWS-based infrastructure
- Experience with streaming frameworks like Spark Streaming, Flink or Apache Beam
At Asana, we're building a better way to work, fueled by transparency, inclusion, and technology that is a force for positive change. Asana is a work management platform that helps teams orchestrate their work, from daily tasks to strategic initiatives, so they can move faster and accomplish more with less. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. After spending more than a year physically distanced, we are safely and mindfully returning our global teams to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.