As the Head of Data Infrastructure, you will lead the design, implementation, and operation of the data infrastructure and tools that teams around the company use to make fast, well-informed decisions and to make our product better. The team is responsible for designing and scaling tools and platforms for performant data pipelines, data transformation and aggregation, production machine learning models, ETL job orchestration, and ad hoc data analysis. You’ll work cross-functionally with our Data Science team, Infrastructure and Product Engineering, and the Business Technology team to develop Asana’s strategy and roadmap for data infrastructure.
You are passionate about helping the people on your team and in the broader Engineering organization contribute more and develop as software engineers as well as human beings. You enjoy the challenge of balancing speed of execution with quality and reliability of the infrastructure and tools. You are an advocate for data security and privacy, ensuring that Asana uses data in a responsible and ethical manner. And you are as enthusiastic about recruiting and building your team as you are about the challenging technical problems that you and your team will solve together. You will lead the Data Infrastructure team and report to the Head of Data.
What You’ll Achieve
- Design and build infrastructure to meet rapidly growing data needs — ensuring that data about how customers are using Asana is correct, complete, and timely; that data scientists and analysts have the tools they need for sophisticated analysis of that data to drive decision-making; and that product teams can build robust data-driven features that make Asana more powerful and easier to use
- Manage a growing organization of 8+ engineers and ensure their continued technical and professional development
- Develop a roadmap and long-term vision for Asana’s Data Infrastructure team
- Sustain a high level of operational excellence for data infrastructure and tools
- Increase development velocity while maintaining a high bar for quality
- Partner with recruiting and other engineering managers to expand the team, by sourcing and interviewing candidates, participating in conferences and events, and onboarding new employees
- 6+ years professional software development experience with 4+ years experience as an engineering manager
- Prior experience managing other technical leads or managers
- Kind and intellectually mature
- Hands-on experience with distributed data technologies and server-side concepts such as containers, microservices, caching, performance monitoring, and API design
- Experience creating robust, scalable data infrastructure and tools
- Strong communication, negotiation, and leadership skills
- Excited to partner with cross-functional stakeholders like Product Engineering, Data Science, and Business Technology
- Focused on maximizing impact for yourself, your team, and Asana as a whole
- Equipped with the intelligence, empathy, integrity, and technical chops required to quickly earn the trust of a technically astute team
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done — and doing it
Asana is a leading work management platform for teams, on a mission to help humanity thrive by enabling all teams to work together effortlessly. More than 60,000 organizations and millions of users across 195 countries rely on Asana to focus on the work that matters, including Airbnb, Disney, KLM Air France, NASA, Uber, and Vox Media. Our highly recognized culture spurs innovation and business results, and for the last two years, Asana has been named a Top 5 Best Place to Work by FORTUNE and one of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work. Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Dublin, Sydney, and Vancouver, Asana is always looking for bright, collaborative individuals to be a part of our inclusive culture and help us achieve our mission.
Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of all educational backgrounds, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, religions, ethnicities, ages, citizenships, socioeconomic statuses, disabilities, and veteran statuses, and we'd love to learn about what you can add to our team.