Data Science Manager, Product Pillar
We’re looking for a strategic leader who is passionate about leveraging data to drive product decisions and building a great team to do so. You’ll guide a team of data scientists with a focus on using data to build new product features. You are someone who enjoys the challenge of balancing speed of results with robust statistical practice, deciding when to bias for one or the other based on product goals, as well as creating processes for your team that help them do the same. You are as enthusiastic about building and mentoring a team as you are about the challenging technical problems that you and your team will solve. Because the team is growing but still small now, you will balance your time between management and hands-on work with our product leaders, contributing work in experimentation, analysis and modeling. You will report directly into the Head of Data.
You will lead Data Science for core product surfaces, like Asana’s advanced work management views and automation tools, mobile applications, and platform integrations. You’ll focus on providing rich insights into how customers use Asana, designing and evaluating experiments that shape product direction, building models for both data-powered product features, and guiding the rigorous use of behavioral data for decision-making.
What you’ll achieve
- Manage a team of data scientists partnering with Asana’s product teams
- Partner closely with Product Management, Design, and Engineering leaders to drive strategy
- Implement team practices that empower cross-functional partners to make data-informed decisions, striking a balance between rigorous quantitative methods and speed of decision-making
- Guide data scientists in their technical and professional development
- Work closely with recruiting and other data team managers to help grow the team
- Make your own hands-on contributions to the team’s data science work — designing and analyzing experiments, building ML models, and answering key questions with data
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, a related quantitative field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of total work experience in data science or an engineering related field
- 2+ years of experience managing a data science team solving product problems and driving product strategy
- Kind and intellectually mature
- Focused on maximizing impact for yourself, your team, and Asana as a whole
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done — and then doing it
- Excited to partner with product teams on both large, strategic data projects and small, routine requests
- Strong technical background in computer science, statistics, math, information science, or another quantitative field
- Fluency in at least one modern language useful for statistics and/or data processing (e.g. Python, R, Scala)
- Proficiency with relational databases and SQL
- Proficiency with large-scale distributed data warehousing or processing platforms (e.g. Redshift, Hive, Spark, Elastic MapReduce) is a plus
- Experience managing a distributed team (in multiple geographic locations) is a plus
- Experience working with product design/development at a B2B SaaS company is a plus
Asana is a leading work management platform, helping more than 70,000 organizations and millions of users across 195 countries organize and manage all of their work, including AB-InBev, Airbnb, AllBirds, KLM Air France, Kohl’s, NASA, Panera, Sephora, Uber, Viessmann Group and Vox Media. Asana has been named a Top 5 Best Place to Work by FORTUNE three years in a row, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Dublin, Sydney, Vancouver, and Reykjavík, Asana is always looking for curious, collaborative people to be a part of our inclusive culture and help us achieve our mission.
Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of all educational backgrounds, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, religions, ethnicities, ages, citizenships, socioeconomic statuses, disabilities, and veteran statuses, and we'd love to learn about what you can add to our team.