We're looking for a strategic leader who is passionate about leveraging data to drive product decisions and building a great team to do so. You'll guide a team of data scientists with a focus on leveling up how we use data to understand and increase the adoption of our product. You are someone who enjoys the challenge of balancing speed of results with robust statistical practice, deciding when to bias for one or the other based on product goals, as well as creating processes for your team that help them do the same. You are as enthusiastic about building and mentoring a team as you are about the challenging technical problems that you and your team will solve. Because the team is growing but still small now, you will balance your time between management and hands-on work with our product leaders, contributing work in experimentation, analysis and modeling.
You will be a part of the Data Science team, focused on providing rich insights into how customers use Asana, designing and evaluating experiments that shape product and business direction, building models for both data-powered product features and internal operations, and advising teams around the company on the rigorous use of behavioral data for decision-making.
What you’ll achieve
- Manage a team of 4-6 data scientists partnering with Asana's Adoption product pillar
- Implement team practices that empower cross-functional partners to make data-informed decisions, striking a balance between rigorous quantitative methods and speed of decision-making
- Guide data scientists in their technical and professional development
- Work closely with recruiting and other data team managers to expand the team
- Make your own hands-on contributions to the team’s data science work — designing and analyzing experiments, building ML models, and answering key questions with data
- Experienced in managing a data science team solving product problems
- Experience managing a distributed team (in multiple geographic locations) is a plus
- Experience working with adoption, growth, or monetization at a B2B SaaS company is a plus
- Kind and intellectually mature
- Focused on maximizing impact for yourself, your team, and Asana as a whole
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done — and then doing it
- Excited to partner with product teams on both large, strategic data projects and small, routine requests
- Strong technical background in computer science, statistics, math, information science, or another quantitative field
- Fluency in at least one modern language useful for statistics and/or data processing (e.g. Python, R, Scala)
- Proficiency with relational data modeling and SQL
- Proficiency with large-scale distributed data warehousing or processing platforms (e.g. Redshift, Hive, Spark, Elastic MapReduce) is a plus
Asana is a leading work management platform, helping more than 70,000 organizations and millions of users across 195 countries organize and manage all of their work, including AB-InBev, Airbnb, AllBirds, KLM Air France, Kohl's, NASA, Panera, Sephora, Uber, Viessmann Group and Vox Media. Asana has been named a Top 5 Best Place to Work by FORTUNE three years in a row, and one of Glasdoor's and Inc.'s Best Places to Work. Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Dublin, Sydney, Vancouver, and Reykjavík, Asana is always looking for curious, collaborative people to be a part of our inclusive culture and help us achieve our mission.
Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of all educational backgrounds, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, religions, ethnicities, ages, citizenships, socioeconomic statuses, disabilities, and veteran statuses, and we'd love to learn about what you can add to our team.