Arzeda is solving some of today’s hardest and most meaningful problems – from food and nutrition to sustainable materials and homecare – by designing proteins that have the limitless potential to change everyone’s daily life. Our team has developed a proven technology platform that merges computational protein design, machine learning, and synthetic biology tools to produce proteins, enzymes, and bio-based processes more efficiently than even Mother Nature. A deep tech, mission-driven company, we are passionate about our mission to design novel proteins and products that enhance our lives and protect our planet. At Arzeda, we value a strong desire to learn, innovate and be continuously challenged.
We are seeking a detail-oriented Associate Scientist to join our Fermentation/Bioprocessing team. In this role, you will demonstrate your ability to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced, startup environment. This is an exciting opportunity to participate in where the magic happens by bringing bench processes to life at the pilot scale!
Arzeda is located in Seattle, Washington. Nestled among the historic and artistic neighborhoods of Ballard, Fremont and Queen Anne, you'll find the right balance of activities and relaxation. Whether you're indulging your inner foodie at one of many unique restaurants, drinking a craft beverage after a day at the beach, or enjoying a picturesque walk through the Sunday Market, you'll be proud to call Seattle your home.
- Day-to-day operation of bioreactors, including data and sample collection.
- Cleaning and maintenance of bioreactor vessels.
- Preparing solutions (feed, vitamins, etc.) and bioreactor accessories.
- Preparing seed cultures and glycerol stocks.
- Communicate experiment results in reports, presentations or verbally in meetings.
- Enter data into LIMS system.
- Bachelor of science in microbiology or biotechnology related field or Associates and 2 years of industry experience in lab setting
- A minimum of 1 year of lab experience working with microbial cell cultures, specifically yeast or bacterial cultures.
- A minimum of 1 year of aseptic technique and data entry.
- Experience with standard lab equipment (pipettes, centrifugations, autoclaves, etc.).
- Strong communication skills and interdisciplinary experience.
- Proficiency with standard Microsoft office software (Excel, Word, Teams, etc).
- Must be in the laboratory most days of the week, nights or weekends may be required.
- Detail oriented and able to report data into LIMS systems
Nice to haves (but not required):
- Experience with Sartorius bioreactor systems is preferred.
- Good understanding of microbial physiology.
- Experience with statistical and DOE software a plus.
Arzeda compensation and benefits include:
- Comprehensive compensation package, to include equity
- Paid time off; company-observed holidays to include a company paid holiday closure between Dec 25 and Jan 1; and paid medical/family leave
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance to include options for Health Savings Accounts
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Commuter benefits
Arzeda is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.