Arzeda is solving some of today’s hardest and most meaningful problems – from food and nutrition to sustainable materials and homecare – by designing proteins that have the limitless potential to change everyone’s daily life. Our team has developed a proven technology platform that merges computational protein design, machine learning, and synthetic biology tools to produce proteins, enzymes, and bio-based processes more efficiently than even Mother Nature. A deep tech, mission-driven company, we are passionate about our mission to design novel proteins and products that enhance our lives and protect our planet. At Arzeda, we value a strong desire to learn, innovate and be continuously challenged.
Arzeda is seeking an experienced Scientist with strong protein production experience to join our fermentation team. In this role, you will leverage your DOE expertise and work hands on with our bench scale bioreactors to develop and optimize processes. You will collaborate closely with our upstream strain design partners to provide input on the design to ensure the strains reaching bioprocessing are set up for success. This is an exciting opportunity to participate in where the magic happens by bringing bench processes to life at the pilot scale!
Arzeda is located in Seattle, Washington. Nestled among the historic and artistic neighborhoods of Ballard, Fremont, and Queen Anne, you'll find the right balance of activities and relaxation. Whether you're indulging your inner foodie at one of many unique restaurants, drinking a craft beverage after a day at the beach, or enjoying a picturesque walk through the Sunday Market, you'll be proud to call Seattle your home.
- Optimize protein production in bacteria and yeast hosts at 1 and 10L volumes
- Run, monitor, and program bioreactors
- Design experiments and analyze experimental data
- Develop process protocols using BioPAT MFCS
- Process samples using HPLC or other analytical methods
- Participates in scaling-up the developed fermentation process with CMO to 1,000-20,000L scale
- PhD in biological sciences or engineering field with 5 years of fermentation experience or Masters in biological sciences or engineering field with 8 years of fermentation experience
- 3 years of experience programming bioreactors
- 3-5 years of DOE experience within bioprocessing/fermentation
- Experience growing bacteria or yeast at the 1 and 10 L scale
- Experience optimizing fermentation protocols for protein production for intracellular and secreted proteins
- Must be motivated, scientifically curious, and collaborative.
- Flexibility to work weekends on a rotating basis
Nice-to-haves (but not required):
- Experience working at 100L or larger scale
- Hands on experience with filamentous fungus
- Programming experience with Java; demonstrated scripting expertise
- Experience with working with CMOs for tech transfer
- Experience with developing food grade processes
- Mentorship experience
Arzeda compensation and benefits include:
- Comprehensive compensation package, to include equity
- Paid time off; company-observed holidays to include a company paid holiday closure between Dec 25 and Jan 1; and paid medical/family leave
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance to include options for Health Savings Accounts
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Commuter benefits
Arzeda is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.