Aruliden is an independent award-winning brand creation and product innovation agency founded in 2006, by Rinat Aruh and Johan Liden. We create brands, products and experiences that matter. We work with a diverse range of Fortune 100 as well as digitally native brands in the Beauty, Lifestyle, and Consumer Technology space, rethinking categories and industries through design. With offices in NYC, SF, and Amsterdam our team works with global brands and clients to create cultural impact, fueled by business growth.
We are currently looking for an accomplished Design Director to join with 10+ year’s experience within the Innovation and Tech sectors. The Design Director role at Aruliden is an important role. You are a key member of the leadership team and are responsible for driving design excellence while keeping a pulse on the overall business and the positioning of the Aruliden brand. Our ideal candidate has a passion for design in all its forms, impeccable taste, and a compelling skill set, including an extraordinary sense of aesthetics concept development, strong sketching abilities, strong 3D CAD modeling for prototyping and production, an understanding of a variety of manufacturing processes, as well as the ability to translate brand values into great products. As a Director you will help build an environment and culture – especially within the design studio - where the very best ideas can be born and thrive. You will be responsible to develop trusted relationships with clients while building an influential creative network. As a Director, you will be leading client presentations with strategic storytelling and an engaging presentation style to clearly communicate design ethos and approach to all levels of client leadership.
Working with a rich portfolio of clients in consumer technology, lifestyle, and beauty, the Design Director is responsible for leading concurrently running projects from inception through completion. The job requires strategic thinking, visionary storytelling, exceptional ideation through sketching, 3D modeling and rendering, and an understanding of a variety of manufacturing processes and materials.
You are passionate about design at the intersection of consumer technology, keeping your finger on the pulse of current and future trends. You are looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests and push yourself beyond your own creative threshold, elevating every brand and project put in front of you.
What we expect:
- Your team leadership and motivation skills are absolutely essential for the role, in fact they are the magic that will make this role work. You will coach, lead and inspire the team continuously so we are best in class.
- You will continue to push design excellence throughout the organization while building, leading and managing a very talented design team. In this role, you’ll be expected to lead multiple large, complex projects and be a role model for interdisciplinary teams.
- Core to building culture, recruiting great talent, and creating a greater brand presence for Aruliden as a whole in the marketplace. Working with the partners to establish Aruliden as a key leader for design and creative excellence.
- Mentor and coach staff with a wide range of design and leadership capabilities, from entry level to Associate Design Directors.
- Implement robust onboarding and career growth pathways for staff that empower individuals to perform at their highest capacity.
- Organize and manage the activities of the team to ensure program and people objectives are met.
- Be a champion for the design team within the broader organization. Communicate and advocate for the mission and needs of the team clearly and concisely.
- Work with other design groups throughout the company to build a collaborative design culture, a cohesive user experience, and a powerful brand.
- Collaborate across disciplines with Brand Design and Strategy
- Continue to drive and lead Design and Innovation led projects
- Lead the full design process from ideation and sketching to 3D modeling, rendering and product implementation
- Working closely with the finance and leadership team to understand overall project profitability and bottlenecks
- Identify appropriate resources based on project scopes and to evaluate teams for assigned projects
- You will develop trusted relationships with clients while building an influential creative network.
- Bring new business opportunities to the overall organization, diversifying our service offerings
- Manage client relationships and strong influence in new business meetings to close projects
- Actively involved in unlocking new opportunities with current or new companies
What it will take:
- 10+ years of relevant design experience within consumer technology
- Degree in Industrial Design or equivalent experience
- Proven experience leading corporate design functions with demonstrated success and results.
- A selfless leader who inspires trust and commitment within their team and in the broader organization through integrity, passion, and professional excellence.
- Hands on work style – not one to overly delegate, but rolls up sleeves and interacts with the team
- Proven experience leading multiple projects and product families on the market BT
- Exceptional ability to collaborate and facilitate the design process.
- Experience building and leading a design team.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong Portfolio demonstrating superior taste, ideation, and execution
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to lead and motivate employees at all levels within the studio
- Concept, Strategy, Sketching and Rendering skills
- 3D CAD/surface and solid modeling proficiency (Solidworks preferred)
- Adobe Creative Suite proficiency
- Keyshot or 3DS Max rendering and animation software