Please note this role is within the Aruliden Amsterdam office and requires on-site work.
Aruliden is an independent award-winning brand creation and product innovation agency founded in 2006, by Rinat Aruh and Johan Liden. We create brands, products and experiences that matter. We work with a diverse range of Fortune 100 as well as digitally native brands in the Beauty, Lifestyle, and Consumer Technology space, rethinking categories and industries through design. With offices in, NYC, SF, and Amsterdam our team works with global brands and clients to create cultural impact, fueled by business growth.
As the Design Director at Aruliden, we will look to you to bring design excellence across all the work you do. From, brand development, digital design, all the way through launch activations, this is a critical role within the organization.
We are looking for a smart, strong creative who is excited to create innovative work at the intersection of fashion, beauty, tech and style. The Design Director will report into the Creative Director. And along with the CD and fellow leaders this role will be a key contributor for continuing to evolve the vision for our beauty, fashion and lifestyle creative team. They will inspire and lead creative excellence across a variety of projects and be a role model across the team while keeping their finger on the pulse of everything going on in the industry. This role will oversee multiple projects from conception to execution, and directly manage a small team of creatives. Team leadership and motivation skills are absolutely essential for the role, in addition to strong concept, creation, craft and presentation skills.
You are excited by beauty, fashion, lifestyle and packaging. The ideal candidate will have a solid background in graphic design, typography, and building brands across a 360 sphere, they understand how to tell unique visual stories through presentations and how ultimately to bring a brand and products to life. The candidate should also have a strong pulse on trends - what’s happening today and what’s happening next - and ultimately bring a fresh perspective and positivity to the table.
Design Directors are representatives of the Aruliden brand, they are expected to build strong relationships with clients, to influence and bring in new business as well as build on existing business and relationships.
What we expect:
- Team leadership and motivation skills are absolutely essential for the role, in fact they are the magic that will make this role work. You will coach, lead and inspire the team continuously so we are best in class.
- Managing your project teams workflow and allocations
- Leading and communicating creative direction to team
- Directing team in order to be able to share with CD and other design leads
- Inspiring teams and individuals to elevate their work
- Inspiring and mentoring teams and individuals to continue to learn and grow
- Giving clear feedback that helps get them to the next level of their careers
- Push design excellence throughout the organization. In this role, you’ll be expected to lead multiple large, complex projects and be a role model for interdisciplinary teams.
- Work in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment. Partnering with the strategy team and 3D team to develop, articulate and visually bring to life big ideas, brands and experiences in a very holistic way. This can range from developing a new brand concept from scratch to experiential activations for brands with an incredible amount of history and equity all the way through innovative product and experience design.
- Front line and will ooze authority internally and externally. You will develop trusted relationships with clients while building an influential creative network.
- Core to building culture, recruiting great talent, and creating a greater brand presence for Aruliden as a whole in the marketplace. Working with Brand Design leads to establishing Aruliden as a key leader for design and creative excellence.
- To be able to lead a project from end to end, from conception through to manufacture
- Able to self manage plus lead/guide project teams team and freelancers
- Managing yourself and project teams workflow and allocations
- Works collaboratively to communicate creative direction to team and peers
- To be a strategic creative thinker, and lover of brands
- Organizing self and project partners in order to be able to share with CD
- Inspiring self to continue to elevate your work
- To be able to take a project from end to end, from conception through to manufacture/realization
What it will take:
- Strong leadership skills with over 10+ years of experience leading and managing design + teams
- Demonstration of design excellence and expertise throughout your career
- Must have a solid understanding and desire to keep up to date with innovation trends, industry trends, and design trends with a specific focus in beauty, fashion and lifestyle
- Exceptional understanding of brands across a variety of industries / Strategic thinker with strong vision and ability to present well
- Strong packaging and systems experience, understands how to realize a physical product from concept through to actualization
- High design aesthetics, typography, great taste, and interest in developing art direction in relation to brand
- Good understanding and experience of bringing a brand to life in the digital space
- Good understanding and ability to bring a brand and physical product to life
- Strong concept and visualization skills / strong presentation and communication skills
- Excited to continue to learn and grow
- Degree in Graphic Design or equivalent experience
- MS Office proficiency
- Adobe Creative Suite proficiency
- Strong written and verbal English communications skills