Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
We are currently seeking a passionate and analytical commercial attorney to join our team.
You will partner closely with business and technology teams to give advice on a broad range of legal issues, including art transactions, corporate matters, commercial transactions, privacy, and intellectual property law. The ideal candidate is passionate about art, excited about e-commerce and comfortable dealing with issues of first impression at the intersection of the two. This is an exciting opportunity for an attorney to scale their skill set with a growing business.
What You’ll Do:
- Negotiate and structure art purchase and sale agreements, online auction conditions of sale, advisory agreements and other art related agreements.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial and intellectual property agreements, ranging from standard contracts to complex strategic partnerships critical to the company.
- Advise internal teams, including sales, operations, marketing, product and engineering on how the company can work within the law to launch innovative products and initiatives.
- Design training programs for various business teams.
- Advise on advertising and marketing matters, including handling regulatory issues regarding digital media and reviewing and clearing marketing content for publication.
- Assist with corporate matters including board meetings, capital formation activities, M&A and other strategic initiatives.
Who You Are:
- JD and New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- Experience with legal issues related to art transactions and the art market such as experience representing art dealers, galleries, collectors or auction houses.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in an AmLaw 100 law firm and prior in-house legal experience.
- Strong commercial negotiation and drafting skills and attention to detail.
- Experience with e-commerce legal issues is a strong plus.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic company.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects, working independently and under tight deadlines.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: our culture or trust and empowerment allows employees to take the time they need away from work while still excelling in their roles
- We are a global hybrid team: most employees work from home several days per week and come into our NYC, London, or Berlin offices flexibly based on team or role needs (in-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
The salary range for this role is $100,000-$200,000 annually. Artsy is committed to equitable compensation practices, and your offer will depend on the relevant experience and skillset you bring to the team.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.