Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
We’re looking for an experienced mobile engineer who has a proven track record building React Native applications for Android. The ideal candidate is someone who has committed themselves to products over multiple releases and shipped software as a member of a very strong team, either as an individual contributor or a technical lead. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products, and who wants to build something that our users – who are equally passionate about art – love, trust, and rely on.
This position will have one foot in both the React Native and Android native worlds, working closely with our mobile engineers to help Artsy deliver amazing user experiences. Across our front-end teams, we employ cutting-edge technologies such as TypeScript, GraphQL, React/React Native, Relay, Storybooks, Yarn, Jest, and Visual Studio Code. If you want to learn more about how Artsy’s mobile app has become a core component of our mission to redefine the way the art industry operates, read our recent blog post, Becoming Mobile First.
- Expand our world class Artsy mobile app, and help us ship a new Android version.
- Collaborate with designers to build a UX that makes sense for Android users.
- Write clean, testable, readable and maintainable code that scales and performs.
- Engage with the React Native community to solicit and share knowledge.
- Contribute to and enable frequent releases by improving our testing and deployment tools.
- Enhance our application’s performance and reliability through analytics and data-informed decisions.
- Advocate for best practices and coding standards.
- Multiply your impact by sharing what you have learned via team presentations, blog posts, pair programming, and other avenues.
- Own your dependencies by interfacing with the open source community to solve problems when necessary.
- 3+ years of professional experience
- Building and maintaining mobile (and especially Android) apps with significant audiences, and evolving them over multiple releases.
- Extensive experience with React Native, Java, and Kotlin.
- Testing frameworks for both Native and Web-based frameworks.
- Working with GraphQL APIs, and preferably Relay.
- Being an integral part of a development team; engaging in decision-making and tradeoff evaluation.
- Participating in several open-source projects and maybe having maintained a few.
Additionally you should:
- Understand and uphold our key value of “impact over perfection”
- Hold strong opinions, loosely held: you will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feel strong resonance with our engineering principles.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.