Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
We are looking for an experienced Staff Backend Engineer to join our team at Artsy, who will help lead our backend strategy and drive its implementation, with a proven track record building complex distributed applications.
Artsy’s world class Engineering team develops innovative solutions to serve all our partners across the art world (galleries, auction houses, fairs) and is focused on making art buying a joyful and safe experience for all collectors. As a Staff Engineer, you will mentor and inspire the team as you drive the continuous delivery of amazing user experiences and the backend systems that support them, directly impacting Arsty’s success in expanding the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
Across our backend stack, we employ technologies such as Ruby on Rails, Node.js, GraphQL, PostgreSQL and MongoDB. Artsy has a tradition of adopting cutting edge technologies where appropriate, and proactively helping to push them to stability as we leverage them within our stack; you can find the fingerprints of Artsy engineers and alumni on all these tools.
The ideal candidate is someone who has committed themselves to products over multiple releases and shipped software as a member of a very strong team, as both an architect and thought leader within a very strong team. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products, and who wants to build something that our users – who are equally passionate about art – love, trust, and rely on.
- Build the applications used by the collectors, galleries, and auction houses that make up the world’s largest online art marketplace.
- Design, build, test, and deploy modular software products in the cloud with our backend stack, which includes Ruby on Rails, Node.js, GraphQL, PostgreSQL and MongoDB.
- Write clean, testable, readable and maintainable code that scales and performs.
- Advocate for best practices and coding standards.
- Analyze the technical feasibility of product features and help guide product development from a technical perspective.
- Mentor and collaborate with the rest of the engineering team.
- Multiply your impact by sharing what you have learned via team presentations, blog posts, pair programming, and other avenues.
- Own your dependencies by interfacing with the open source community to solve problems when necessary.
- 10+ years of professional experience
- Significant experience mentoring and supporting other team members. You are a technical expert and are comfortable taking the lead of multiple projects.
- Extensive experience building and maintaining web services with GraphQL and RESTful APIs, using Ruby on Rails and Node.js.
- Extensive experience querying and modifying a variety of databases, including PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch.
- Being an integral part of an engineering team; making decisions about the team’s technical roadmap and overall architecture
- A track record of driving sweeping process improvements across a large engineering team
- Participating in several open-source projects, possibly maintaining a few.
Additionally you should:
- Understand and uphold our key value of “impact over perfection”
- Hold strong opinions, loosely held: you will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feel strong resonance with our engineering principles.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.