Artsy's engineering principles are open source, but the most important one is Open Source by Default. As an iOS Engineer at Artsy, your contributions would be open source (because all our apps are open source). Every line of code you write, every pull request you review, and every product you build, they all help Artsy to achieve its mission, and all help the industry learn and grow.
Artsy uses a lot of open source software, blog posts, and other free resources. And we give back. Artsy would rather proudly discover (and improve) an existing tool than build it ourselves from scratch. Through our work, we try to create more value than we capture. That means that when we learn something new, we try to share that knowledge through blog posts and open source documentation. A successful candidate will bring their own unique perspective to help us achieve this mission.
Engineers at Artsy are as excited to build amazing user experiences as they are to build "roads and bridges" that help other engineers build amazing experiences. Our Mobile Experience team is the embodiment of this principle: we are responsible both for making our iOS app awesome, and for supporting Artsy's other product teams building their own iOS features in shared infrastructure (React, Relay, TypeScript). The ideal candidate for this role is excited to be a multiplier: someone who helps their colleagues to reach their full potential.
- Collaborate with product managers and designers to build and maintain a world-class, rich iOS experience.
- Drive impact for iOS product direction and features, and enable broader team app contributions through improved internal tools and processes
- Contribute to and enable frequent releases by improving our testing and deployment tools.
- Enhance our application’s performance and reliability through analytics and data-informed decisions.
- Leverage your impact by sharing what you have learned via Lunch & Learns, blog posts, pair programming, mentoring, and other avenues.
- Own your dependencies by interfacing with open source community to solve problems when necessary.
- Understands the tradeoffs between "done" and "perfect" (and favors the "done" end of the spectrum).
- Has strong opinions, loosely held. They will change our team, and our team will change them.
- Approximately 5 years of experience writing iOS apps in Objective-C or Swift.
- Familiarity with (or strong curiosity about) building iOS apps with React Native.
- Has built and maintained universally-adored iOS apps with significant audiences, and have evolved those apps over multiple releases.
- Can work both independently and collaboratively within a dynamic engineering org to initiate and promote best-practices across the team.
- Feels resonance with our engineering principles.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.