The art market is the last major consumer marketplace to come online and, with over $20B in commercial inventory, Artsy is the first company to aggregate the lion’s share of it onto a single platform. Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
As the largest art marketplace and enterprise SaaS business in the world, Artsy has partnered with leading international auction houses and galleries such as Christie’s, Sotheby’s, and Phillips, and Gagosian. Artsy’s database includes 1,000,000+ works by 100,000+ artists from over 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, museums, art fairs, and auction houses across 190 countries all in one place—it is the largest online database of contemporary art in the world. Artsy is powered by The Art Genome Project, a classification system that maps the characteristics (we call them “genes”) that connect artists, artworks, architecture, and design objects across history.
Today, Artsy has over 200 employees with their headquarters in New York, NY. The company has raised over $100M in funding including their most recent round led by Avenir Growth Capital in July of 2017. Additional investors include Thrive Capital, L Catterton, Founders Fund, Larry Gagosian (founder, Gagosian Gallery) and Joe Gebbia (co-founder, Airbnb) among others.
Artsy’s Board of Directors includes Carter Cleveland (Artsy, Founder & Executive Chairman), Josh Kushner (founder Thrive Capital, Cadre, Oscar), Sky Dayton (founder Earthlink, Boingo), Michael Farello (L Catterton), Andrew Sugrue (Avenir), Rich Barton (founder Expedia, Glassdoor, Zillow) and Bob Pittman (founder MTV, CEO of AOL Networks, Century 21, Six Flags, iHeartMedia)
About the Role
Artsy seeks a world-class marketing leader to manage, develop, and drive Artsy’s growth marketing strategy. Reporting directly into Artsy’s CEO, the VP of Marketing will be a true fulcrum on global culture and the new creative economy. We are looking for someone ready and excited to step up to that responsibility to establish, own, and drive Artsy’s broader marketing strategy.
In the short to medium term, your mission is to ensure that every art buyer in the world knows that Artsy is the best way to buy art online, while leading a world class marketing team that collaborates with the rest of Artsy to achieve this goal.
In the long term, your mission is to evolve these efforts to drive Artsy’s broader mission of expanding the art market to support more artists and art in the world–with the ultimate goal of manifesting our vision of a future where everyone is moved by art every day.
- Establish growth marketing strategy: Artsy’s platform includes the largest marketplace, enterprise business, and online magazine in the art industry—all of which can be leveraged for marketing. We need a creatively driven B2B + B2C marketing executive who can unlock our platform’s full potential for marketing.
- Build and manage performance marketing: develop performance strategy and build teams across multiple channels – SEO, email, social, display, search, referral, affiliates, print, direct mail, outdoor, TV, radio, events, etc.
- Conversion optimization: Optimize cross-channel acquisition efforts to drive Demand and maximize ROI
- Oversee and leverage PR, Events, Merchandising, and Brand to support global growth strategy
- Design operational and testing frameworks to optimize marketing campaigns and to improve search, personalization, and targeting
- Partner with our product, engineering & creative teams to identify opportunities and channels to drive transformative growth
- Identify, recruit, and build world-class creative marketing teams
- Creative growth marketing executive within digital consumer space
- Proven track record of success managing and scaling performance marketing
- Experience driving B2B and B2C brand growth
- Highly data driven; affinity for driving testing strategies - ie. funnel analysis, AB/multivariate testing
- Inspiring and empathetic leader who empowers their team to do its greatest work
- Strong hands on day to day people management ability
- Strong cross-disciplinary collaborator
- Thrives in solutions oriented, high-growth environment
- Marketplace and/or Luxury industry experience, a plus
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.