Who we are
We're an international creative technology company with offices in Australia and North America. We are a talented and diverse group of creative thinkers, problem solvers, designers, writers, producers, and engineers. We work alongside, and are embedded within cultural organisations to help them build people-centric interpretive experiences.
All our projects foreground place, from our ongoing partnership with the Mona museum in Tasmania to our latest immersive audio experiences with the Art Gallery NSW and Smithsonian Institution’s Freer and Sackler Museum. We specialize in creating magical experiences of and about place by seamlessly blending the physical and digital world, connecting people to new ideas derived from their immediate surroundings.
We’re looking for a Technical Team Lead to join our diverse and multidisciplinary engineering team and help bring our product offering to life. You’ll provide stewardship and leadership to our team and guide innovative experience management solutions that empower our wide range of clients to consistently deliver world-class visitor experiences.
A little about the role...
We build systems that model the relationship between spatial features and the creative works within them, with a focus on human-scale visitor experiences (which is a fancy way of saying "museum", but there’s more to it than that). We are developing a platform to allow us to capitalise on our expertise by extracting an offering of foundational services which can underpin our visitor experiences. The Technical Team Lead will help to shape our platform to enable us to continually exceed our clients’ expectations.
You will work closely with our engineering team and play a key role, guiding and informing an appropriate solution and architecture to support our goals and objectives. You will grow an innovative and capable team which you will empower to make critical decisions about where to use third party solutions and where to build our own. You can balance making solid engineering choices for long-term stability while needing to ship solutions for immediate project and client needs.
We make use of a broad set of technologies for our work, including Python, Django, Docker, gRPC, and PostgreSQL/PostGIS, TypeScript and React for front-ends, and a smattering of Rust where appropriate. If you have solid technical skills, a growth mindset, and the ability to get stuff done, then this could be the job for you.
We’re an extremely collaborative group, and that’s music to your ears – you are ambitious and humble in equal measure. And you thrive in a creative, team environment. Developers collaborate with designers, architects and other technologists. All are encouraged to work fluidly across domains, contributing to all aspects of the build from concept to final installation.
You could be the one if you...
- Have the ability to handle complex projects with multiple technologies and integrations with dynamic requirements
- Have excellent communication and facilitation skills — both in person and written
- Have an awareness of risk management as it applies to both delivery and systems ownership
- Are comfortable working on multiple projects from the original brief through development and deployment and beyond with minimal oversight required
Leadership and Influence
- Help facilitate an understanding among the team of the value of reusable, scalable and adaptable architectures for user interface engineering and development
- Support and encourage discussion around technologies and techniques which support your technical and architectural goals
- Demonstrate your skills and capabilities to the team by producing work of significant quality, use this to educate and uplift the development capabilities of the team
- Undertake regular one-on-one meetings and conduct annual performance and development reviews for your team
- Use your engineering practices and behaviours to provide a positive baseline for the engineering team, you are mindful of this and use this and seek opportunities to lift the practices and behaviours of others
- You will build positive and proactive relationships with the leaders in the executive, production and design — seek to understand their challenges and look for opportunities for the technical team to help them achieve their goals
- You will work with the team to set and follow software design principles and development processes with an emphasis on continuous delivery of well tested incremental changes
We promote a friendly, human work environment; providing you with the support, tools and resources to flourish in your role. You'll be able to draw on the support of a widely experienced team while pushing the boundaries of what's possible in your craft while delivering unique experiences to some of the most innovative creative institutions in the world.
In addition to the above, you’ll:
- Have opportunities to continually learn, grow and develop your skills
- Have access to benefits which support your wellbeing
- Have access to flexible work arrangements and leave entitlements
- Be able to work out of a office in vibrant Collingwood
At AP we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our clients. We're committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills and creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.