Artium Technologies was born out of a desire to help innovators and disruptors harness the full power of custom software development. We envisioned it. And now we deliver it.
We’re dedicated to improving our craft through discipline, collaboration, and mentorship. Our goal is to find progressive ways to build software as small teams of passionate craftspeople. We help our clients—from brand new start-ups to enterprise-level organizations—implement their own diverse culture and software development mastery.
We’re always searching for people who care passionately about their craft, embrace the humility of consulting, and consider themselves evangelists for software best practices. We practice lower-case ‘a’ agile implemented as a mix of XP (extreme programming), lean, and user centered design. We have strong opinions loosely held and are always exploring new and better ways to build software systems and organize teams.
Here’s who we’re looking for:
We’re searching for partners in defining the future of software engineering. Not all of the practices we’ll be talking about in 10 years exist today, and you’ll be a part of experimenting, codifying, and evangelizing what we discover in our work.
As a Director in our Software Engineering practice, you’ll build meaningful relationships with our clients and change the way the world builds software. This role will entail a mix of hands-on-keyboard software development and people management. You will have leadership and mentorship responsibilities for one or more engineers and provide input to the performance management process. This person will also be involved in scoping exercises for new projects and partner with our General Managers to staff and determine strategy for project allocation. The ideal candidate is an experienced leader and manager, but also comfortable executing in diverse technical environments.
While this role is remote-friendly, you will be required to work Eastern Time Zone hours.
Here’s what a week at Artium looks like:
- Start the morning with a quick Zoom standup meeting with your team(s).
- Partner with clients and stakeholders to define and drive technical strategy, vision, and roadmap.
- Collaborate with your team(s) to prioritize business, technical, and user-centric solutions to the problem or opportunity at hand.
- Help innovate and iterate on Artium’s Engineering processes and our approach to software development.
- Drive a cadence of transparent communication between client and team.
- Hold 1:1 with member(s) of the development team - giving and receiving feedback, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers.
- Spend some time hands on keyboard performing code reviews, hunting down bugs, and pairing with teammates.
- Model our values of pursuing mastery, humanity, and courage. Check here to see what that means to us.
Skills and experience our team needs:
- 8+ years of relevant technical experience, including 5+ years managing high performance teams, and 3+ years managing through managers
- Polyglot full-stack coding experience in functional or object-oriented languages (e.g. Ruby, Java, Elixir, Python, C#, Go, Typescript)
- Ability to be flexible, proactive, comfortable working with minimal specifications to deliver challenging technical solutions.
- Strong leadership and communications skills, as well as the ability and desire to teach others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to explain and present details to both business and technical audiences.
- Working experience using software engineering best practices including coding standards, code reviews, SCM, CI/CD, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience with lean, user centered design, and agile development methodologies (XP, Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
- Proven track record to hire, retain, and grow technical leaders and managers.
- Excellent team collaboration skills, to include experience in dealing with multiple projects and cross functional teams, as well as the ability to coordinate across teams in a large matrix organization environment.
Bonus points if you have...
- Experience with extreme programming (XP methodologies)
- A background in client work or consulting
What we can give you:
- A culture fundamentally based on software development best practices. We actually do this stuff
- A holistic approach to work-life balance based on sustainable pace, which we know is often rare within the consulting realm
- A career plan that evolves with you as you grow in your role
- Take time to recharge with three weeks of paid time off annually
- A remote-based environment that will remain flexible for the foreseeable future. Our long-term goal envisions office hubs in major cities around the U.S.
- All the supplies you need to work from home successfully—including a mechanical keyboard of your choice
- Full coverage of Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance—for your family, too
- 401k contributions to invest in your future
- Subscriptions to ClassPass, Headspace, Spotify, and two of the following: Netflix, Hulu, or Disney+
- Sick days, company holidays, bereavement days, and a volunteer day
Artium is experiencing exponential growth! Not sure the above sounds exactly like you but you’re still interested in joining us? We’d love to hear from you! Reach out to email@example.com with your resume and a note about what you think you can add to our teams.
Artium Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The range for this position is $185,000 - $210,000. Your actual pay will be based on your skills and experience—talk with your recruiter to learn more.