ArQit is a world-leading high-innovation organisation: we're building the world's first global quantum safe cloud PaaS system to deliver provable security to data at rest, on the move and in transaction.
ArQit has brought together a world-leading team of pioneers in engineering and cryptography, and we now have an opportunity for a Software Engineer.
The role is formally based in London but with significant flexibility around working from home. We are committed to maintaining a working environment which is welcoming and supportive.
As a Software Engineer within the Software Engineering organisation at Arqit, you will work on an exciting strategic cybersecurity roadmap, taking advantage of your experience in cryptography, distributed system engineering, object-oriented and functional programming, and the entire SDLC to help deliver on the Arqit vision.
You'll be a key contributor as the team starts to build out IaaS and PaaS services which will provide protection against quantum computing threats in digital communications for our customers, both enterprise and consumers, and will contribute to system and component design, build, test and deployment.
This is a great opportunity to join a team at the start of an exciting journey into an emerging technology space, working with talented teams of product managers, scientists, designers and software and space engineers.
What you’ll be doing:
- You'll be working in the software engineering team developing software for cloud PaaS and/or satellite mission control systems.
- You'll work closely with senior software engineers, contributing to the design, development, peer review, testing and deployment of APIs and software within public and/or hybrid/private clouds, using modern distributed cloud technology stacks.
- You'll work within an Agile team, contributing to Agile development practices, helping ensure that the team delivers high quality software in an iterative fashion.
- You'll work closely with the Product Management team to help refine requirements and workflows, and use your customer focus to ensure world-class UX.
- You'll mentor and coach graduate and more junior engineers to help them realise their potential.
- You'll find bugs, identify root cause, and provide solutions for issues found internally and by our customers.
What we’re looking for
- BSc/MSc/BEng/MEng or equivalent in Computer Science, electronic engineering or related field, or significant commercial experience of developing complex mission-critical enterprise software and services.
- Professional software engineering experience in relevant areas.
- Demonstrable experience in building horizontally-scalable mission-critical enterprise software and services, preferably in a startup environment.
- Experience of Java/Kotlin/Node.js
- Experience of cloud service development (public/hybrid/private cloud PaaS or SaaS) including consumption of cloud services from the big 3 providers (AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure)
- Experience of triage, RCA and fix for software issues within a distributed system.
- Experience of database development (SQL and NoSQL)
- Experience with Design Patterns, Refactoring, OO Design and related areas
- Experience working in an Agile SCRUM, or Lean Kanban environment
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- Ability to work in the UK and ability to gain UK security clearance are both essential
- Working knowledge of applied cryptography
- Experience of device driver development (Windows/Mac/Linux)
- Experience with hardware security features across different compute and mobile platforms (e.g. TPM, SGX, SME/SEV, Keychain)