What does the future of work look like using Around 🔮? Just ask these amazing companies who use us every day... Canva, Asana, Productboard, Miro, Automattic, Uber, HitRecord, Netflix, Murmur, Hopper, Sweetgreen, Deepnote, Coursera, and the list goes on.
We are looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Backend Engineer passionate about working with distributed, high-performance systems at scale.
You are familiar with not only writing quality code, but also how to deploy and manage applications and systems in production.
You'll work closely with the platform team to develop highly scalable API architecture, ensuring quality and performance to ensure an amazing experience and keep our growing user base happy.
*This is a 100% remote opportunity for candidates within North & South American and European time zones.*
🚀 What You'll Do
- Work with cross-functional teams to understand product requirements, solve complex engineering and architectural problems, and build scalable solutions
- Collaborate with the team to build new features and APIs, and make improvements to our existing features to handle current and future scale
- Build resilient distributed systems for scale to ensure our application can handle high volumes of load
- Write backend components and Restful APIs
- Build robust and stable API integrations and debug and optimize slow API endpoints
- Help design our framework for integrations
- Deliver software builds with reliability and tests from the start
- 5+ years of experience in NodeJS and other backend technologies
- Experience with PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Experience with working with APIs that are used by a large number of customers
- Experience working with large databases / distributed systems
- Experience with test frameworks for both asynchronous jobs as well as APIs and websocket channels
- Experience deploying customer-facing software into a product environment
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS
- Passion for super-clean code
✨ Bonus points
- Experience working on a real-time audio/video product, WebRTC, live streaming, and/or related video technologies
- Experience configuring and securing AWS environments
- Experience building SDKs and documentation for external developers
- SFU-based real-time architecture and connection logic experience
- Knowledge and Understanding of accessibility standards and security compliances
🛠 Tech Stack
- React, Typescript
- SFU architecture
- Chromium / CEF / Electron
- Node, PostgreSQL, Redis
- Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, AWS
🙋🏽♀️ About You
- You are highly empathetic, naturally curious, and are passionate about building a world-class product.
- You enjoy learning from others, sharing your knowledge and experience, and working with others to solve problems in a cross-functional way.
- You have a customer-first mindset and an appreciation for amazing user experiences, and a strong desire to work at a rapidly growing startup and make it a success.
- You are excited about working remotely and see the future in fully distributed teams! You see the future in fully distributed teams! You will be working with an international team spread across North & South America and Europe.
We’re a small, but mighty 100% remote team that’s growing fast, so everyone that joins has a direct impact on the direction and success of the company. Today’s hires will be tomorrow’s leaders. We strive for an open, flat, collaborative, work-hard-play-hard environment.
We are looking for experienced engineers who want to be part of a fast-paced, dynamic environment, where everyone’s opinions and efforts are valued. We hire outstanding engineers and give them the opportunity to thrive in a collaborative atmosphere that values learning, growth, and hard work. If all of this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
PS... by submitting your application you confirm you've read our privacy notice for candidates.