Software Development Engineer in Test
at Around (View all jobs)
Join us on a thrilling journey to improve how teams work together in real-time interactions! We want to give our users the ability to actually collaborate during video calls.
Around is the new "anti-fatigue" video call. We are obsessed with making it easy for our users to stop sweating the small things like background noise... allowing people to get down to work and focus on innovation rather than on dogs barking or washing machines.
Check out what people are saying about Around: http://bit.ly/around-love 🥰
The Audio & Video engineering team at Around oversees the technology and end-to-end user experience of our video features across desktop and mobile. The team’s mission is to give our users the utmost certainty that our video and client experience is excellent.
We are looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven QA Engineer or Software Development Engineer in Test with experience writing and maintaining high-quality automated tests and testing frameworks to help us refine our audio and video technology. This is a hands-on SDET role and the person in this role will have the opportunity to build and lead a team. Ideal candidates are passionate about mentoring other developers and QA engineers while leading testing efforts across entire projects.
🚀 What You'll Be Doing
- Proactively working with developers to debug software and hardware solutions during new product development.
- Reviewing requirements and behavior specifications to begin test development early and uncovering issues prior to implementation.
- Testing Around's real-time video and audio service in terms of functionality and quality: client-side performance, call stability and quality, and its compatibility with a variety of peripherals.
- Planning, designing, maintaining, and executing test cases with minimal direction.
- Investigating log, track, and triage bugs to determine root causes and establish prioritization.
- Participating in video/audio debugging/testing with customers.
- Improvising and manually testing edge cases with specific software and hardware configurations to develop intuition about existing or future issues.
- Creating test plans/test cases, writing test scripts, and executing all tests.
- Coaching, mentoring and developing others.
🖐🏻 Bonus points
- Previous experience with VoIP and/or real-time audio/video technologies.
- Previous experience working with WebRTC.
- You are an active open source contributor!
🙋🏽♀️ About You
- Experience with CI/CD frameworks and tools (GitHub Actions, Gitlab, Jenkins, Travis, or similar)
- Comfortable improvising, being very hands-on, and working with dozens of hardware configurations. (We'll provide you with an extensive kit of equipment and devices).
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Extensive experience with writing test cases, and the testing stability and reliability of real-time video conferencing products - client or server.
- You enjoy dispelling the illusion that things work!
- You are highly empathetic, genuinely curious, and passionate to build a world-class product.
- You are excited about the remote collaboration. You see the future in fully distributed teams! You will be working with an international team in Europe and the US.
🛠 Tools You'll Be Using
- Front-end: React, Typescript
- SFU architecture
- Chromium / CEF / Electron
- Node, PostgreSQL
- Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, AWS, other CI/CD frameworks
💰 Competitive Compensation + Stock Options
💻 MacBook Pro + Accessories + High-Quality Audio/Video Equipment
🏥 US-based: Medical Insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
💰 401K + Match
💗 Home-Office Stipends for Remote Work
🌴 Unlimited Vacation and Sick Days
👶 Parental Leave and Fertility Benefits
🏋 Monthly Gym and Wellness Stipend
📚 Learning Budget (online courses, books, conferences, language lessons)
We’re a small, but mighty 100% remote team that’s growing fast, so everyone that joins has a direct impact on the direction and success of the company. Today’s hires will be tomorrow’s leaders. We strive for an open, flat, collaborative, work-hard-play-hard environment.
We are looking for experienced developers who want to be part of a fast-paced, dynamic environment, where everyone’s opinions and efforts are valued. We hire outstanding professionals and give them the opportunity to thrive in a collaborative atmosphere that values learning, growth, and hard work. If all of this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
We're an early-stage startup with 30+ team members and growing fast. Our HQ is in Redwood City, CA, but we are a remote-first company with a worldwide team across the US and Europe.
Our leadership team is made of serial entrepreneurs with 15 years of experience working with distributed global teams. We are obsessed with building a healthy remote culture and improving how teams collaborate while not in the same physical location. We practice what we preach with the Around team spread out across the world. We are backed by premier Silicon Valley venture capital firms.