Argo Group is a leader in specialty insurance with a vibrant culture built on respect, equality, wellness and opportunity. We’re an innovative organization that’s small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference in our industry.
Our flexible workplace is continuously evolving to ensure all employees feel:
- Comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
- Confident that they will be treated respectfully.
- Recognized for their performance and provided with equal opportunities to succeed.
At Argo, skill meets opportunity. If you’re wired to raise your hand and ask, “Where can I help?”, you’ll thrive with us.
Scope of Work:
• This position is moderately supervised and reports to the Loss Control Supervisor.
• Provide assistance to policyholders. It is the responsibility of a loss control representative to assist policyholders in the development and implementation of needed safety and health programs, providing training to management and employees of policyholders, and aid in the development of other control methods and work practices
• Recognize and evaluate hazardous or potentially hazardous situations as well as poor work habits observed during loss control surveys. These findings are then reported to the appropriate personnel at Rockwood
• Measure the effectiveness of new and existing loss control methods and recommend modifications to those methods to achieve optimum control of losses
• Analyze loss data in order to assess loss drivers and develop materials and training programs to address same
• Assist the claims process through accident investigation and other methods in order to achieve positive outcomes
Required Technical Skills:
• Strong computer, public speaking, good driving, persuasive, knowledge of claims, auditing & underwriting procedures.
• This position will have acquired a safety or insurance certification in a specialty area i.e.
- MSHA trainer certifications (Coal and/or Metal/Nonmetal)
- BS in Safety or related field (preferred)
- NSC’s Advanced Safety Certificate
- Mining experience with certifications, etc.
The following working conditions associated with this position should be noted:
•Work environment varies with weather conditions. Travel and inspection duties must take into account road conditions, etc. Inspections require entering situations with little background information on the applicant/insured, i.e., the possibility of a security dog, the mental stability of the applicant/insured, and the physical location of the risk. For example, conditions of a given neighborhood or hazards of a construction site. The inspector must be able to judge and react to these situations. Employee safety is our top priority.
• Hazards associated with various client companies; for example, underground hazards, respirable dust hazards, exposure to overhead hazards, slip-and-fall hazards, exposure to unguarded machinery, exposure to high noise levels, or dealing with insureds not receptive to our presence, etc.
• Standing – 20%
• Walking – 25%
• Crawling- 10% (Can you crawl as low as 32 inches. Craw on hands and knees). It may be one day every other week for 6 – 8 hours). Phystical demanding role.
• Sitting – 45%
• Lifting - <25 lbs.
• Carrying <35 lbs.
• Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling speaking, hearing, seeing both depth perception and color vision - as needed
• Wear any/all personal protective equipment as required by law, Standard, and/or the policyholder
• Establish and maintain strong working relationships with agents and customers.
• Develop and maintain strong working relationships with other departments within the Company.
• Significant travel is required.
• Overnight travel is required.
• Responsible use of Company equipment and fiduciary means is required.
• Minimum 3 years documented mining experience
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Varies by jurisdiction
• PA insurance producer license is a plus
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, offers frequent, integrated communication and values authentic recognition of excellence. View our 2022 Environmental, Social & Governance Report to learn more about Argo.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that results in approximately 25% of all new hires annually.