At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
Argo is looking for a highly talented and motivated Group Financial Controller to join a leadership position in the finance department. This person will report to the Senior Vice President, Chief Accounting Officer. The successful candidate will lead the development and preparation of Argo Group’s external reporting and consolidation process.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads the preparation of the company’s external reporting filing of SEC periodic reports such as Forms 8-K, 10-Q, and 10-K.
- Key stakeholder in the company’s reporting to the Bermuda Monetary Authority (BMA).
- Manages the flow of information and supporting documentation that supports external reporting from various parts of the business to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Leads Disclosure Committee meetings.
- Manages and develops accounting staff.
- Develops an in-depth understanding and analysis of significant transactions to assess their impact for SEC disclosure purposes.
- Responsible for the company’s financial consolidation and intercompany processes.
- Makes recommendations on continuous improvement of established processes and procedures and designs new processes to deliver timely and accurate financial reporting of Group results.
- Coordinates, directs, plans and executes the financial reporting component of the external audit.
- Conducts, supports, and assists with all SOX compliance requirements.
- Ensures adequate processes and procedures within the group to maintain a seamless interim and year-end audit, supporting external and internal audit engagements as it relates to functional area.
- Maintains thorough knowledge and current understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and SEC rules and regulations.
- Monitors the activities of the SEC, PCAOB, FASB and AICPA to determine what impacts the future decisions of those authoritative bodies may have on the company.
- Oversees department’s procedures to identify and implement improvements in efficiency and/or controls.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Successful, ambitious individual with strong experience and working knowledge of the reporting requirements for SEC registrants.
- Must have extensive experience in the preparation of financial statements.
- In-depth understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and SEC rules and regulations.
- Extensive experience in the research and resolution of accounting issues, including making non-routine decisions and resolving complex problems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills essential to interact with executives and accounting management.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles and communicate effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing, with all organizational levels, including accounting management and executives, to accomplish objectives.
- Must have strong understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Knowledge of International Accounting Standards and XBRL requirements desirable.
- Strong computer and spreadsheet skills, Oracle experience preferred.
- Organize, prioritize, manage, and complete multiple projects and tasks concurrently in a deadline driven environment.
- Insurance industry experience highly desired.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience, with a public accounting firm and/ or in a reporting role of a publicly traded company.
- An individual who has proven experience in interacting with and presenting to management.
- A resourceful individual who possesses the ability to overcome resistance.
- Must be self-motivated and be able to think independently.
- Able to manage multiple priorities along with day to day responsibilities.
- Able to organize, prioritize, manage, and complete multiple priorities and tasks concurrently in a deadline driven environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- CPA required.
The range provided is for Colorado-based hires only and will be commensurate with candidate experience. Pay ranges for candidates in other locations other than CO may differ based on the cost of labor in that location. Pay range: $185,000 - $205,000 plus eligibility for an annual bonus based on company and individual performance.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.