At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
Argo’s Internal Audit Department is on a transformative journey to become a best in class department that is guided by a philosophy of efficiently delivering quality assurance that drives value for Argo, while developing talent. As part of that journey, we are re-vamping the way the department operates in total. This includes re-writing policies and procedures; re-working templates and processes; and creating new and different approaches to provide assurance, strengthen governance and increase the overall value proposition of the department.
Argo is looking for a highly talented and motivated Audit Director to join a leadership position in its Internal Audit Department. This person will report to the Senior Vice President- Head of Audit and will be a key member of the Internal Audit leadership team, which sets the strategy and vision for the internal audit department. The Director will play an integral part in helping to develop and lead many of the transformational initiatives noted above. The Director will play a significant role in setting the audit strategy as well as planning, executing and reporting on audits with complex and technical processes. The Director will also be responsible for establishing relationships with senior executives, aligning our work with SEC and NAIC requirements/considerations as well as developing our current talent while helping to build out the department.
The successful candidate will be able to think strategically as well as engage in day-to-day tactical details. They will also position themselves to be an independent trusted advisor to the business.
- Participate in the Audit Leadership Team by assisting in the development of the Group Audit strategy, executing and owning pieces of that strategy, developing and executing the audit risk assessment and audit plan, and help drive our function forward.
- Leading the team through the changes to the department, while developing and training them.
- Establish yourself as a trusted advisor to the US and Group business leadership. Leverage your relationships to identify additional needs of the business, new and emerging risks and additional opportunities for audit to assist.
- Work through ambiguity to develop and implement changes and solutions that have a strategic impact for the business, as well as within Internal Audit.
- Ensure Audit Programs and test plans effectively analyze and evaluate the most important and relevant risks and controls.
- Analyze workpapers and risk and controls to provide expert support to senior management regarding best practices around corporate policies and procedures, technical inquiries, audit planning and financial, operational and compliance governance and controls. Proven ability to interpret multi-disciplinary analyses.
- Apply critical thinking skills to evaluate various tasks, procedures, policies and findings to ensure alignment to overarching goals or to suggest changes to those goals. This includes identifying emerging issues and trends and thinking through potential ramifications as well as mitigating actions.
- Develops an awareness of business strategies, policies and standards providing meaningful insights based upon knowledge and research which will continue to improve management’s control environment.
- Identify and communicate broad business risk management, governance and control issues impacting business partners; proactively recommends the most appropriate/effective recommendations, which address the true root cause, to decision makers including senior business management.
- Contribute to the overall effectiveness and value of Group Audit by recommending and developing innovative approaches and solutions for both audit findings as well as to assist Audit in maturing (e.g., the use of data analytics, automation, and Agile audit methodology)
- Coordinates with external auditors and regulators on the results of the external audits of the company’s processes, controls, systems, or reports. Facilitates the request and collection of relevant information. Organizes meetings between external parties and members of management. Councils management on requirements and requests of external parties. Supports the communication of results and any needed corrective action.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- 10+ years of internal or external audit within the financial services industry with strong SEC and PCAOB experience and knowledge.
- Strong knowledge of internal audit best practices, financial / insurance services processes and operations, and regulatory requirements.
- Strong leadership and management skills, including the ability to train and develop team members and drive change.
- Demonstrated experience/ability to form and maintain strong relationships with company leadership, resolve differences and influence positive change.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- A certified professional designation (CPA, CIA, CISA, CFE, etc.).
- Proficient in applying internal auditing standards, procedures and techniques, risk management practices, procedures, protocols and industry best practices.
- Strong communication (oral and written), presentation, and project management skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Travel as required.
- Big 4 Public Accounting Experience preferred.
- Significant experience with auditing leveraging the use of data analysis tools preferred (e.g. Power BI, Arbutus).
- NAIC and Agile experience and knowledge strongly preferred.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.