At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
- Handle, adjust and negotiate settlement of Syndicates standard claims including management of specific insureds and coverholder accounts;
- Handling and management of complex claims under referral to the Property, Energy and Marine Claims Manager/Head of International Claims;
- All claims emanating from policies written by ArgoGlobal to be handled in accordance with ArgoGlobal’s Claims Philosophy and Claims Guidelines meeting the service levels set out therein to ensure an exceptional customer experience;
- Liaise with and establish good relationships with brokers, legal representatives, service providers, experts, DCAs and coverholders in connection with claim related matters;
- Organise and attend regular broker relationship meetings;
- Work with actuarial and underwriting teams to assist in the preparation of claims information for underwriting renewals and reserving meetings;
- Update the underwriters and Property, Energy and Marine Claims Manager on significant claims, wording issues or trends affecting the account to include portfolio analysis and provision of MI;
- Ensure that claims are managed effectively through diary, maintenance of the marine and energy watchlist and static/outstanding claim inventory review;
- Manage the marine and energy claims portfolio and the development of all reported claims to assess and provide input into the adequacy of IBNR provisions and ultimates;
- Ensure and oversee the monitoring and recording of monthly bordereaux receipt for delegated accounts;
- Escalation of claims handling queries to Property, Energy and Marine Claims Manager/Head of International Claims;
- Ensure reserving practice complies with documented practice.
- Ensuring full compliance with all ArgoGlobal stipulated global and local operating protocols, procedures and policies, service standards and FSA and SOX regulatory compliance
- Relationship building, developing ArgoGlobal market recognition and promoting the ArgoGlobal brand (including participation in industry conferences/committees, by way of attendance or presentation, steering committee/market meetings, meetings with brokers and insureds to discuss trends and developments in the context of an existing claim and assisting Underwriters in their marketing efforts)
- Prepare and host lessons learned seminars for claims/underwriting;
- Attend renewal meetings, new business pitches and client meetings on an ad hoc basis as required;
- Working with the reinsurance team to report claims and effect recovery from outward reinsurers
- Deliver against targets for departmental KPIs;
- Arrange, host and attend weekly/monthly underwriting/reserving meetings;
- Mentoring of team members/more junior members of staff through day to day coaching and oversight;
- Oversee runoff of elements of the portfolio and ensure service company claims/other facilities are reconciled and reserves updated accordingly;
- Actively participating in and contributing to system and process improvements initiatives and innovations across the International Claims operation as required;
- Any other ad hoc or project work as may be assigned by the Property, Energy and Marine Claims Manager and/or Head of International Claims.
- Exceptional technical expertise and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to solve problems and make decisions with limited direction
- Self-starter who is results orientated and proposes solutions challenges
- Ability to work within deadlines and manage multiple competing priorities
- Able to manage upwards and keeping senior management appraised
- Team player who can motivate people and drive change
- Ability to innovate and anticipate problems/issues prior to their occurrence
- Ability to develop excellent working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and ECF
- Strategic thinker – understanding of the bigger picture. Ability to acquire, understand and absorb information quickly
- Good organisational skills
- Ability and confidence to work alone and take reasoned decisions in connection with claims adjustment, but to recognise the need to refer as appropriate
Qualifications, Technical Skills & Experience
- Proven track record in handling large, complex and litigated marine claims (1st and 3rd party) with limited direction
- Experience in handling claims within a DCA environment
- Ability to understand and apply regulatory and legal requirements in the claims context
- Detailed knowledge of claims life cycle and ability to work to and develop best practice
- Managing Agency background preferred/knowledge and understanding of Lloyd’s minimum standards.
- Experience of leading a market on complex losses
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.