At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
We are looking for a highly capable Senior Inland Marine Underwriter to join our team as a home-based employee in the Midwest region.
The Senior Underwriter will support the Midwest Region and grow our Inland Marine business profitably with Wholesale and Retail distribution partners through effective underwriting of new business and renewals according to authority level and established guidelines, participate in special projects, and provide mentoring for less experienced staff.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
· Meet the stated financial objectives around growth and profitability for an Inland marine portfolio
· Create relationships with our customers and deliver our products and capabilities to help grow our share of wallet
· Solicit risk opportunities, evaluate the exposures and price to acceptable profit expectations based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority.
· Own the portfolio and take necessary underwriting and broker actions on the book of business in accordance with guidance provided by the segment.
· Partner with Account Manager on new and renewal processes and appropriate servicing of accounts during their life span.
· Resolve premium audit disputes within assigned territory.
· Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
· Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state.
· Consult with general agents/brokers to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain underwriting guidelines.
· Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports.
· Manage assigned underwriting territory, including management of agents; build a pipeline of opportunities to meet new business objectives and retention of profitable accounts and establish appropriate visibility with our business partners.
· Be innovative, share ideas and help the team whenever possible or if you are called upon
· Other duties as assigned.
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university required or seven year to ten years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Five or more years’ related underwriting experience required.
· At least three years’ experience in Inland Marine with authority preferred.
· Proven track record in growth and profitability.
· Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Adept at risk selection, exposure evaluation and ability to rate, quote and sell admitted and non-admitted solutions for Marine lines of business.
· Familiarity with AAIS Forms and Inland Marine coverages
· Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.