At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
Argo Group US currently has a challenging opportunity for a Senior Underwriter, located in Chicago, IL. The primary purpose of this position is to actively participate in the production underwriting, marketing and processing of diversified financial institution management liability lines of business. Responsibilities may also include participating in special projects and mentoring less experienced staff.
- Underwrite and analyze new business and renewal submissions for Financial Institutions. Areas of focus include Investment Advisers, Mutual Funds, Insurance Companies, Private Equity and REITS.
- Ensure our marketing initiatives are achieved and that consistent communication of our products and services are provided to our retail and wholesale brokers.
- Further develop existing broker relations as well as establish new relationships in targeted territories to attract business opportunities.
- Actively participate in client and broker meetings.
- Develop and maintain a submission pipeline sufficient to achieve overall production and business mix objectives.
- Use market contacts to bring in Financial Institutions business, gather and share market intelligence and cross sell Argo Pro and other Argo Group products.
- A genuine excitement to not only meet, but exceed, our customer’s expectation on each and every interaction with the customer.
- Demonstrated robust and productive relationships with professional liability specialist brokers in the Central U.S., marketplace.
- A minimum of three years underwriting experience in financial institution underwriting of management or professional lines
- A relentless desire to continually update your skill level through continuing education and self-development (we’re a bit fanatical about this, so you should be too). So having your bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designations are strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated strong negotiation skills, achieving favorable outcomes in win/win negotiations.
- We work in a fast-paced environment that is evolving constantly; so flexibility and the ability to thrive in change are important to be successful here. Oh, as is being resourceful on your own.
- A strong focus on execution in getting things done right. We are looking for people with a proven ability to consistently produce and deliver expected results.
- Excellent ability to collect, gather, manipulate and analyze information in detail to draw conclusions on how to underwrite an account profitably.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.