At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
Argo Group US is currently seeking a Professional Liability Underwriter to join the Argo Pro team. This is an excellent opportunity to join a growing team in a fast-paced environment and contribute to its profitable growth. The position will be responsible for the marketing, underwriting, and processing of Architects & Engineers (A&E) and Miscellaneous Professional Liability (MPL) lines of business in the East or Central region.
The position will be based in the New York City, Hamilton Township, NJ or Chicago office.
This role will be responsible for the following:
- Manage assigned underwriting territory by underwriting and analyzing a book of new and renewal business, primarily focused on A&E and MPL, that is consistent with Argo’s focus on profitable growth.
- Establish and maintain departmental business processes, includes overseeing the technical and operational aspects of book management.
- Build and manage strong, productive, and profitable relationships with agency partners, and participate in the selection and closure of agents.
- Contribute to our marketing initiatives and provide consistent communication of our A&E and MPL products and services to appointed brokers.
- Participate in the recruitment and selection process to ensure the organization has the necessary talent to accomplish business goals.
- Collaborate with other departments to resolve issues and generate business efficiencies.
- Liaise with internal/external auditors.
- Plan strategic initiatives to develop A&E and MPL policies, guidelines, product development, and data quality.
- Travel to meet with brokers as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or five-plus years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant underwriting experience in A&E or MPL.
- A clear understanding of the Professional Lines marketplace.
- Excellent working rapport with the brokerage community.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to travel.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.