At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
• Support actuarial pricing referrals on larger treaties, especially on the Motor class
• Be responsible for the pricing models used and seek to continually improve them
• Update the key pricing assumptions used within the pricing models on an annual basis (claims inflation, ILF’s, benchmark loss development factors etc.)
• Build effective working relationships with underwriters, and become a collaborative partner in the underwriting process
• Contribute to the business planning process in terms of assessing the prospective class level loss ratios
• Support the underwriters in portfolio level analysis and monitoring the performance of the account
• Support the underwriters in their interactions with the reserving actuaries
• Preferably a qualified actuary although experience considered if the exams are incomplete
• Preferably 3 years + Casualty Reinsurance pricing experience although Reinsurance pricing / London Market pricing backgrounds considered
• Preferably 5 years + experience in non-life insurance in the Reinsurance / London market place
• Customer focus: Establishes partner relationship with clients – especially senior underwriters. Visible & accessible to clients
• Communication: Communicates well one on one, in small groups and public speaking. Fluent, quick on feet, command of language. Keeps people informed. Writes clear, precise, well-organized documents using appropriate vocabulary, grammar & word usage. Able to clearly articulate mathematical concepts to non-technical and semi-technical audiences
• Strategic skills – Determines opportunities & threats through comprehensive analysis of current & future trends. Comprehends the big picture
• Judgement / decision making: Consistent logic, rationality & objectivity in decision making
• Outgoing & easy to work with
Technical Skills & Experience
• Experience of working within the casualty reinsurance market or similar long tail line experience
• Knowledge and experience of actuarial pricing for the reinsurance market
• Some experience of the marine/offshore energy / specialty lines reinsurance marketplace would be beneficial
• Excellent Excel skills. VBA, SQL, and R skills an advantage
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.