At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
Main Purpose of Role
In 2019 a significant transformation of the ArgoGlobal Operations Function was undertaken restructuring the centralised team. One of the outcomes of this work was the creation of a specialist MI and Performance team which has grown and become established and core to Argo International’s strategy over the last 48 months.
The main purpose of this role is to lead the centralised team of four analysts in developing a suite of regular and ad-hoc performance-based management information that enables underwriters and senior management to make better informed business decisions. The role will also involve working with other business functions to ensure that management information produced by the team is adaptive to the data landscape and changing consumer requirements of ArgoGlobal.
The short-term aim of the role is to drive forward efforts to transform all existing reporting into Power BI dashboards and enable near real-time reporting on all policies within the Syndicate 1200 portfolio. Argo International has recently integrated the Watertrace BDX tool into its data architecture, and a key goal of the MI & Performance team during 2021/2022 is to deliver an end-to-end suite of delegated business reporting using Power BI and Snowflake. In addition, this role is responsible for ensuring that reporting remains adaptive to organisational change and delivers the required information to Underwriters, the Argo Managing Agency (AMA) Board and Argo Group.
The long-term aim of the role is to conduct thematic deep-dive analysis, with the team producing targeted analysis that identifies underperforming business and emerging data trends to make a material impact on the bottom-line performance of the Group.
The role will have a broad scope covering Syndicate 1200 as well as Argo Re (Bermuda & Dubai), and will require collaboration with members of Argo US on a frequent basis.
- Working closely with key stakeholders, including ArgoGlobal CUO’s and Managing Directors, to develop and implement reports and tools to serve the needs of management
- Liaising with other Functions and Underwriting teams to ensure that reporting is accurate, consistent and valuable to relevant stakeholders
- Leading the MI and Performance team in the development of analytical underwriting MI including multi-platform open market and delegated authority business
- Ensuring that the MI and Performance team delivers timely and accurate management information to various audiences including ArgoGlobal Committees and Boards
- Providing ad-hoc in-depth analysis for the management team, delivering new insights into business performance and improvement.
- Developing KPI reports for other teams within Operations to monitor their compliance against internal SLAs and for Board reporting
Data Strategy and Technological Enablement
- Enhancing existing MI reports and developing new reporting capabilities and dashboards
- Identifying and overcoming data deficiencies and gaps in analytical capabilities
- Ensuring that the output of the team is aligned with the ongoing work of the One Data Project (internal strategic project to centralise data sources)
- Improving the quality and availability of financial and operational data, working collaboratively with Finance, Underwriting Operations and stakeholders across the company
- Demonstrated ability to design and develop business performance reporting on financial and non-financial data, providing clear and insightful information for decision making
- Demonstrated ability to manipulate large volumes of data into digestible management reporting
- Demonstrated high calibre financial understanding and capability, with a clear commercial awareness and high business acumen
- Strong stakeholder management experience, building and strengthening relationships within the business at all levels.
- Curious and analytical mind-set able to connect high-level concepts through to underlying details
- Excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data entry or data outputs.
- Demonstrable evidence of interpreting & manipulating data clearly and accurately with the ability to extract & clearly articulate key points.
- Track record of identifying and analysing problems, identifying & evaluating options, deploying sound decision making skills.
- Expert Microsoft Excel and VBa skills
- Strong experience with developing Power BI dashboards, and designing and maintaining Apps
- Extensive experience working with Snowflake ETL and / or SQL
- Knowledge of data visualisation software such as Qlikview, Business Objects, Tableau or similar
- Confidence in dealing with large volumes of data across multiple sources
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- CII qualifications preferable although not essential
- At least 5 years of General Insurance industry experience
- Knowledge of the Lloyd’s Market
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.