At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
VP Ceded Re, Head of Americas
This role coordinates all aspects of outwards treaty placement for casualty, property and professional lines across the Americas segment of the Argo Ceded Re Group and supports the growing global operations of Argo Group. This job reports to the Group Head of Ceded Re.
Role & Responsibilities
- Oversee multiple placements per year, responsibility for placement timeline and structure proposals. Lead the preparation of external submissions for the reinsurance market.
- Liaise with Brokers, Underwriting, Claims, Actuarial, Capital Modeling, Finance, Accounting and Legal
- Negotiation and placement of reinsurance treaties across worldwide geographies
- Monitor progress of placement
- Communicate with brokers on terms and conditions
- Work with underwriters on developing responses to inquiries from reinsurers
- Confer with actuarial staff on underlying analytics
- Keep senior management advised of developments and problems
- Present and communicate with the Reinsurance Committee, including all group senior management (CEO, CRO, CFO) and prepare supporting materials.
- Responsibility for all reinsurance documentation
- Placement slips, Cover Notes or Evidence of Cover, Endorsements, and special acceptances
- Ensure timely delivery of reinsurance documents and completion within internal and regulatory timeframes,
- Ensure completion of FAS113 Documentation and SOX Compliance
- Review documentation across placements to ensure best in class wordings
- Ad-Hoc analysis as required to support ceded re function and its involvement across the group. Assist senior management with risk analysis regarding reinsurance treaties including capital and balance sheet impacts.
- Involvement in special projects, due diligence, and development of new reinsurance programs with underwriting, finance, and capital modeling.
- Coordinate and oversee counterparty risk, ensure all reinsurers meet security standards.
- Manage junior level associates throughout the placement process. Develop junior level associates and analyze resource needs.
- Form strategic relationships with brokers and reinsurers, opine on changes in strategy with brokers or reinsurers. Manage RFP processes.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- A minimum of 15 years of Reinsurance experience in broking, underwriting or buying.
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage, guide, train and assist junior level associates.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong insurance, reinsurance and actuarial knowledge as they apply to contract development and program structuring and pricing.
- Strong attention to detail and quantitative skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work with various internal constituents, including underwriting, claims, actuarial, finance, exposure management, capital modelling, and IT departments worldwide.
- Ability and willingness to work outside normal office hours and US/global travel as required.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.