At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
Argo Group has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Staff Accountant. This position can be based in any of our US offices or remotely and will report to our Manager of Accounting.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- Ensure accurate and timely compilation of accounting information, analysis and reporting in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Handle month-end, quarter-end and year-end accounting close and reporting for Insurance and Reinsurance segment accounting. Activities performed include the preparation of journal entries, financial analysis, account reconciliations and reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare and analyze account balances and ad hoc technical accounts financial reports for management.
- Produce segment reporting schedules and disclosures for GAAP and Statutory reporting.
- Maintain accounting and financial records in the documentation system, subledger and General Ledger systems.
- Assist with internal and external audit requests.
- Ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley internal control requirements.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or Finance; and/or equivalent work experience is required.
- Excellent analytical skills, attention to detail, problem solving and above-average math aptitude/ability.
- Ability to accurately research and follow through on complex problem-solving items, as well as initiate resolutions at multiple levels within the organization.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage, prioritize, and effectively meet deadlines working on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Excellent ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Proficient PC skills developed through extensive use of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Access, and Word in addition to experience and knowledge of accounting software.
- Displays professional demeanor encompassing company’s vision and values when working with customers both within and outside the organization.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K, generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 150%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.