Argo Group is a leader in specialty insurance with a vibrant culture built on respect, equality, wellness and opportunity. We’re an innovative organization that’s small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference in our industry.
Our flexible workplace is continuously evolving to ensure all employees feel:
- Comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
- Confident that they will be treated respectfully.
- Recognized for their performance and provided with equal opportunities to succeed.
At Argo, skill meets opportunity. If you’re wired to raise your hand and ask, “Where can I help?”, you’ll thrive with us.
Argo Group currently has an exciting opportunity for a Technical Manager to lead and oversee Argo’s proprietary end-to-end underwriting, pricing and exposure management platform ‘Terra’. Terra is a market-leading platform which is key to Argo’s Property and Marine underwriting enabling individual account pricing, marginal impact and real-time portfolio roll-up on Argo’s bespoke Nat Cat view of Risk. In addition, this role will also oversee Argo’s internally developed Risk Visualization Tool (RVT) which provides geospatial mapping and risk level data analysis. The jobholder will also work closely with the Cat and Exposure teams on the PowerBI reports which leverage the overnight data to provide Management Information to the business.
This enthusiastic, self-motivated individual will be part of a team-oriented environment concentrating on Underwriting, Actuarial CAT Modeling and Exposure Management, which includes business analysis, solutions and hands-on code review. The individual will work with a variety of key stakeholders within the business to maintain and enhance the platform.
The Technical Manager will be the primary liaison between IT departments and various business units to elicit, analyze, communicate and validate requirements for changes to business processes and IT applications/systems. He/She acts as a consultant for business problems and opportunities and will provide insight for possible technical solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals. He/She will have in-depth technical knowledge and expertise to assist in troubleshooting and data mining.
The Technical Manager ensures that the business intent is carried through business analysis work applicable to all application changes and that the business analysis work is of sufficient quality to meet solution objectives and deliver business value.
- Serves as the liaison between the customer community and the development team through which requirements flow.
- Conducts interviews and leads requirements gathering sessions with business representatives to elicit and document business requirements for system development.
- Elicit and write business and system functional and non-functional requirements including usability, reliability, performance and support requirements of a system.
- Effectively communicate issues to business customers and elicit feedback for applications programmers and technology solution providers.
- Acts as Subject Matter Expert for CAT Modeling and Exposure management systems and processes. This includes in-house developed applications and Vendor Models.
- Conducts issue triage and escalation as it relates to requirements/technical issues for the client/project.
- Performs Knowledge Transfer with technical teams – Development, Quality Assurance and Production Support.
- Assist Testing Team in preparation of test strategy/plans.
- Coordinates building of user acceptance test cases by the clients; as well as the execution of user acceptance testing.
- Mentors internal or external Business Analysts and review work product of such partners on as needed basis.
- Works with Application Manager on prioritizing the requests, coordination of UAT and providing status to business customers.
- Experience of designing UI based on .Net Framework (WinForms and ASP.NET).
- In-depth understanding of CAT Vendor Models as well as CAT Marginal Pricing and Portfolio Management.
- Intermediate level SQL skills – good understanding of RDMS.
- Adept in using Microsoft Office Stack etc.
- Able to work directly with clients to understand business requirements on a project basis.
- Ability to understand the client area's functions and systems.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience of working under high pressure environment and on time critical projects.
- At least 5 years’ experience of working in Insurance Industry.
- 5+ years in a Business Analyst Capacity-focused in CAT Modeling.
- BS/BA Degree, preferably in Business Administration or Information Systems preferred, MBA highly preferred.
- Attitude and Aptitude will be primary qualifications for this role. Will give strong consideration for individuals with an aptitude for technology and have extensive insurance experience.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, offers frequent, integrated communication and values authentic recognition of excellence. View our 2022 Environmental, Social & Governance Report to learn more about Argo.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
The collection of your personal information is subject to our HR Privacy Notice
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include dental, disability, life insurance, medical, and vision insurance, matching 401(k) retirement savings, generous paid time off (21 days of PTO, 11 paid company holidays, 3 floating holidays and a paid voluntary day), paid caregiver and parental leave, paid bereavement, jury duty/court appearances, and military (up to 14 days) leave, employee assistance program (EAP), and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that results in approximately 25% of all new hires annually.