At Argo Group, you can be part of an organization where we are small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference. You can make a direct impact while working in a high-performing, innovative and inclusive team.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, frequent, integrated communication, and authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. Our experienced underwriting team is dedicated to providing effective solutions for all types of companies. We hire the best people, so we can deliver the best solutions.
We are looking for a highly capable Public Company Management Liability Underwriter to join our team and work in the Chicago (IL) office. This position is responsible for underwriting new business according to authority level and established guidelines, participating in special projects, and providing mentoring for less experienced staff.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
- Review and price policies to verify acceptability based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority
- Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges
- Interact in person, via email, and by phone with brokers to obtain further risk-specific details, negotiate terms and pricing, and explain company positions
- Manage assigned underwriting territory, including the performance (GWP, loss ratio) of assigned brokers
- Oversee and approve endorsements as indicated
- Resolve premium audit disputes within assigned territory
- Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state
- Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports/dashboards
- Mentor less experienced team members
- Conduct educational sessions within the department
- Other duties as assigned
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree or five plus years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three to five years underwriting experience with authority, preferably in public company management liability and excess and surplus lines
- Proven track record of driving profitable growth
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designation strongly preferred
- Detail oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to travel
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
In addition, you’ll also want to make sure you embody our core values as they are the key to our success:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We offer our employees:
- An opportunity to be your best and work with talented and inventive professionals at a Company Forbes magazine named to its list of America’s 50 Most Trustworthy Financial Companies for the last two years and that A.M. Best has rated an ‘A’ (Excellent) for thirteen consecutive years.
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents’ lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, a matching 401(k) Plan, generous PTO and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning and which, by the way, got us named in Training magazine as one of the Training Top 125 Companies!
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 100%.
- An Employee Referral program, that resulted in 30% of all new hires last year.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
How We Work - Our Employee Values
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K, generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 150%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.