Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. Our experienced underwriting team is dedicated to providing effective solutions for all types of companies. We hire the best people, so we can deliver the best solutions.
We are looking for an AVP, Underwriting to join our Marine team for the Western region. We are looking for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit who has a passion for building a business, driving results, and leveraging their technical expertise. This role will be based in the West Region, including, but not limited to California, Washington or Denver.
In this role, you will:
- Meet new business and profit goals of the West region, individually and as a team.
- Initially, be the lead underwriter to develop a book of business within the region.
- Owns portfolio results and distribution management for the territory.
- Establish and communicate underwriting profit goals and other measurements including loss ratio, new business development, policy count, account retention, etc. once the team expands
- Analyze individual risks and book of business results to manage and control underwriting exposure and pricing strategy consistent with company objectives.
- Provide leadership and acts as a subject matter expert, if called upon.
- Partner with the SVP of Underwriting to develop strategies and actions to resolve adverse trends or deviations from established underwriting standards identified through producer and account review audits.
- Participate in the recruitment and selection process to ensure the organization has the necessary talent to accomplish business goals, when it is time to expand.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships within and outside Argo Group to develop and drive new business opportunities. Work with internal and external business units to develop joint business plans, value propositions and cross-marketing programs.
- Represent the company at networking functions and other industry-related events that present and promote departmental initiatives to other external constituencies as appropriate.
- Act as a role model demonstrating belief in, and commitment to, the aspiration values of Argo Group, continuing to build and lead a value-based organization committed to long-term success.
This position requires a high-energy, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image. Additional qualifications and knowledge with include but are not limited to:
- Bachelor's degree and 7+ years’ industry experience.
- Experience with core inland marine lines such as construction, transportation and equipment lines.
- Adept at building relationships with Retail and Wholesale Brokers in the region
- Proven leadership capabilities with a sound influence in dealing with challenging situations.
- Demonstrates strong ability to partner with finance, actuarial, IT and marketing resources.
- Demonstrates significant contribution to underwriting profit.
- Independent decision maker – takes full responsibility for making decisions and consequences associated with decisions.
- Recognized as a leader within the organization that provides advice and guidance to others.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Inland Marine external market and contributes to the development of business strategy.
- Have established relationships with external clients and professional network.
- Continually seeks opportunities for niche products and potential agent opportunities.
How We Work
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization. Argo Group offers:
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents’ lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, retirement savings including matching 401K, generous PTO, Paid Caregiver Leave, Paid Parental Leave, and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning – which is why Training magazine named us as one of the Training Top 125 Companies.
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include Compressed Hours, Flextime, Job-Sharing, Part-Time and Remote Work, Sabbatical Leave, and Summer Hours.
About Argo Group
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team.
- View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.