Underwrite new Excess Casualty business and renewals according to authority level and established guidelines. At Argo Group, we work together to serve specialty markets, focused on the success of each of our customers by offering specialty coverage through our subsidiaries. Our full line of high-quality products and services is designed to meet the unique coverage and claim-handling needs of our clients. Learn more about Argo here.
This Excess Casualty underwriter role will service the MidWest and ideally will be located in that region. The position can be remote or aligned to an Argo office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review and price policies to verify acceptability based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority both primary and supported excess.
- Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
- Interact in person, via email, and by phone with wholesale brokers to obtain further risk-specific details, negotiate terms and pricing, and explain company positions.
- Manage assigned underwriting territory, including management of agents and travel to agent offices.
- Oversee and approve endorsements as indicated.
- Resolve premium audit disputes within assigned territory.
- Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state.
- Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or one to three years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One to three years underwriting experience with authority, preferably in excess and surplus lines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU desirable.
- Detail oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to travel.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Proficient in the use of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
How We Work
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization. Argo Group offers:
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents’ lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, retirement savings including matching 401K, generous PTO, Paid Caregiver Leave, Paid Parental Leave, and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning – which is why Training magazine named us as one of the Training Top 125 Companies.
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include Compressed Hours, Flextime, Job-Sharing, Part-Time and Remote Work, Sabbatical Leave, and Summer Hours.
About Argo Group
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team.
- View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.