Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. Our experienced underwriting team is dedicated to providing effective solutions for all types of companies. We hire the best people, so we can deliver the best solutions.
We are seeking an Underwriter to help build our Construction business. This role would ideally be based in Scottsdale, AZ but can be based at any of our Argo offices or remotely.
- Review large and highly complex policies to verify acceptability based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority.
- Determine whether to accept, modify, or decline risks.
- Oversee and approve endorsements as indicated.
- Resolve premium audit disputes within assigned territory.
- Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
- Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state.
- Consult with general agents/brokers to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain underwriting guidelines.
- Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports.
- Manage assigned underwriting territory, including management of agents and travel to agent offices.
- Mentor less experienced team members.
- Conduct educational sessions within the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or 2 – 5 years’ experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designation strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
How We Work
Employees at Argo thrive together as a responsible, profitable specialty insurer where all stakeholders share in our success.
We are committed to:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization. Argo Group offers:
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents’ lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, retirement savings including matching 401K, generous PTO, Paid Caregiver Leave, Paid Parental Leave, and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning – which is why Training magazine named us as one of the Training Top 125 Companies.
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include Compressed Hours, Flextime, Job-Sharing, Part-Time and Remote Work, Sabbatical Leave, and Summer Hours.
About Argo Group
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team.
- View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.