Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. Our experienced underwriting team is dedicated to providing effective solutions for all types of companies. We hire the best people, so we can deliver the best solutions.
We are looking for a highly capable Senior Underwriter to join our Contract Property and Casualty team and work from any of our US offices or remotely. This position will manage and grow assigned underwriting territory, handle referrals and underwrite highly complex new business and renewals according to authority level and established guidelines, participate in special projects, and provide mentoring for less experienced staff.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
- Review policies to verify acceptability based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority.
- Consult with general agents to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain underwriting guidelines.
- Market our products and services and build relationships with producers to attract business, including travel to agent offices and conducting WebEx meetings.
- Provide outstanding service to assigned producers, including answering questions promptly, assisting them with policy issuance and endorsement challenges, resolving audit premium disputes and training them on the best use of our technology.
- Utilize underwriting tools and analyze and interpret data from various sources to assist the Manager in the modification and development of underwriting guidelines so that they are both profitable and competitive.
- Provide input in the development and implementation of new products
- Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state.
- Conduct educational sessions for agents and fellow employees. Mentor less experienced team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of seven to ten (7-10) years P&C multi-line underwriting experience, preferably in excess and surplus lines.
- Experience in production and strong customer service skills.
- Detail-oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
- Excellent technical and analytical skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong relationship-building skills.
- Effective sales and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designation preferred.
About Argo Group
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team, especially when it relates to reviewing large losses.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.