Who we are:
Argo AI is a global self-driving products and services company on a mission to make the world’s streets and roadways safe, accessible, and useful for all. Our technology is built to enable commercial services for autonomous delivery and ridesharing in cities.
With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s top consumer brands, we’re working block by block, city by city to empower people and businesses to be more successful. We’re individuals driven by strong values to solve complex problems together. Come join us to reimagine the human journey.
Meet the team:
Maps play a critical role in the success of Argo AI. Today’s autonomous vehicles require a unique map of the world they are operating within for everything from navigation to context of the environment around them.
The Map Engineering team builds and maintains the mapping pipeline and a suite of services and tools that interact with our maps. Huge amount of data collected with multiple sensors gets processed by our pipeline and eventually becomes the High Definition map that is used by the autonomous vehicles. Join a team using cutting edge technologies to create solutions for highly detailed and complex maps that empower our autonomous vehicles.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee, lead and drive to completion projects for backend systems to build maps for our growing fleet of autonomous vehicles
- Provide technical leadership to the team to take our pipeline to the next level in terms of scale, stability and coverage
- Provide mentorship and technical guidance to other members of a highly talented team
- Participate in the development process from planning, estimation all the way to implementation, optimization, maintenance and support in a test- and monitoring-driven environment practicing CI/CD releases
- Leverage server side programming languages such as Java and Python to build our large scale maps data pipeline and services
- Work with point cloud, image, and other sensor data to build HD maps for self-driving vehicles
- Work with internal teams on SLAM (simultaneous localization and mapping), 2D segmentation, classification and other ML models
- Design scalable solutions for big-data storage and retrieval on AWS using Kubernetes, Airflow and other cloud technologies
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Strong software skills in Java or Python, REST
- Experience in building distributed and scalable backend applications using huge amounts of data
- Experience with backend technologies: PostgreSQL, cloud objects storage such as S3
- Experience deploying/managing infrastructure in public cloud environments such as AWS or GCP
- Previous experience leading projects
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Ability to communicate complicated technical information: We are working on hard problems in a very fast paced team environment
- Outstanding engineering judgement: You understand how to scope solutions to produce a high volume of quality work with maximum value
- Ability to work beyond your core engineering field and understand how the pieces fit together in the larger system
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with Docker and containerization technologies is nice to have.
- Familiarity with major cloud provider’s platform and technology is nice to have
- Maps or geospatial background
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,700-person strong company with strategic partnerships with some of the world’s leading consumer brands. With global headquarters in Pittsburgh, we operate in eight cities across the U.S. and Germany in areas where self-driving technology can have the biggest impact on improving safety, traffic, and transportation equity.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.