Who we are:
Argo AI is a global self-driving products and services company on a mission to make the world’s streets and roadways safe, accessible, and useful for all. Our technology is built to enable commercial services for autonomous delivery and ridesharing in cities.
With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s top consumer brands, we’re working block by block, city by city to empower people and businesses to be more successful. We’re individuals driven by strong values to solve complex problems together. Come join us to reimagine the human journey.
Meet the team:
Mapping and Labeling play a critical role in the success of Argo AI.
Autonomous vehicles require a highly detailed 3D map of the world they are operating within for everything from navigation to gaining context of the environment around them.
Working with Autonomy and Operation teams, we define the representation for the high definition machine-readable map. We build and maintain a custom pipeline capable of processing huge amounts of sensor data and turn them into maps that can be used on our autonomous vehicles. We also build the backend services and infrastructure that power the suite of web applications that visualize our maps.
Autonomous vehicles are robots on four wheels that use machine learning models to perceive the world around them by detecting, tracking and predicting the behavior of their surroundings.
The Labeling team’s mission is to work with Autonomy scientists and engineers and Operation teams to build pipelines and services to collect, label and deliver ground truth data to Autonomy to train those machine learning models to build the brain of the self-driving car. The massive scale at which Argo operates creates unique challenges requiring us to innovate in the way we build those tools, pipelines and services that incorporate, visualize, manipulate and interact with both human and machine-generated labels.
About the position
Mapping and labeling have multiple openings for software engineers with different levels of experience.
We are looking for candidates who are excited about Autonomous Vehicles and to join a high performing team to build high quality scalable softwares with a focus on mapping or labeling.
This position can be based in the Palo Alto or Pittsburgh office, or remotely for the right applicant in certain locations.
What you’ll do:
- Participate in the development process from planning, estimation all the way to implementation, optimization, maintenance and support in a test- and monitoring-driven environment practicing CI/CD releases
- Oversee, lead and drive to completion significant projects of the team involving multiple team members, cross functional teams, and wide building blocks
- Work with autonomy teams to provide mapping and labeling features that allow self-driving vehicle to operate safely and make smart decisions
- Work with internal and external operation teams and front-end mapping and labeling teams to create in-house toolings and workflow that improve map and label model quality
- Develop cloud services and pipeline using a mix of Java and Python
- Provide technical leadership to the team to take our services to the next level in terms of scale, stability and performance
- Design scalable solutions for big-data storage and retrieval on AWS using Kubernetes, Airflow and other cloud technologies
- Automate infrastructure to test, validate, and graduate product releases using Jenkins, Terraform, and Kubernetes
- Provide mentorship and technical guidance to other members of a highly talented team
- Design Argo internal partner and customer facing APIs and architectures to deliver requests for labeling and mapping needs
- Investigate new approaches and technologies that can be leveraged for next generation solutions
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Previous experience leading projects and mentoring junior engineers
- Strong software skills in Java, Python, REST and experience with relational databases
- Working knowledge of AWS, eg. S3, SQS, Lambda and EC2 or other cloud experience
- Belief in rigorous, reliable, high-quality engineering that produces tangible results quickly
- Experience in building distributed and scalable backend applications using huge amounts of data
- Ability to communicate complicated technical information: We are working on hard problems in a very fast paced team environment with a very diverse team
- Highly customer focused: work with internal and external teams to understand requirements and produce high value solutions quickly and with quality
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with Docker and containerization technologies is nice to have
- Experience with data processing frameworks (Airflow, Oozie, Luigi)
- Maps or geospatial background is useful but not required
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,700-person strong company with strategic partnerships with some of the world’s leading consumer brands. With global headquarters in Pittsburgh, we operate in eight cities across the U.S. and Germany in areas where self-driving technology can have the biggest impact on improving safety, traffic, and transportation equity.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.