Company: Argo AI GmbH
Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
Meet the team:
Engineering complex systems, such as autonomous vehicles, requires a unique combination of broad vision, focus on the details, and the discipline to follow the design between the two. System safety engineers at Argo AI are responsible for addressing how the systems we design maintain safe functionality by design, taking into consideration potential faults, malfunctions, and complex system-level interactions. Successful candidates will be experts in the application of system safety concepts and standards to modern engineered systems. They will be able to apply this expertise to both the hardware and software components of the system. They will also be excellent cross-functional communicators.
What you’ll do:
- Work across Argo AI to design safety into our autonomous vehicle systems from the ground up
- Tackle the topics of safety, functional safety, and autonomy hardware and software safety from a systems engineering perspective
- Work to define safety architecture, safety concepts and derive requirements from safety analyses
- Tackle new, non-standard, cross-functional challenges for which you will have to decompose the problems on the fly and drive them to completion even in the absence of standard methods or processes
- Work with engineering teams from concept through implementation, representing the consideration of safety in the design throughout the process
- Provide technical safety leadership on assigned system elements
- Perform systems & safety analysis activities, including on autonomy-related safety
- Communicate design considerations and progress with respect to system safety across the engineering organization
- Communicate effectively to make recommendations and drive consensus amongst all stakeholders (executive team, product, customer, engineering, test)
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Strong record working in the field of system safety as it relates to hardware, software and system-level design
- Expertise with ISO-26262, IEC-61508, UL4600 and/or safety critical system design best practices
- Technical domain knowledge of autonomous vehicles or similar autonomous robotic systems
- Strong Systems Engineering fundamentals and knowledge of modern systems engineering techniques, tools and processes
- Expertise with safety analysis techniques such as FMEA, FTA, and FMEDA
- Expertise in safety requirement authorship such as functional safety requirements, technical safety requirements, hardware and software safety requirements
- Experience with requirements management tools such as Jama
- Strong communication skills and the ability to to communicate complex engineering issues to a diverse team
- “Doer” mentality: you join Argo because you want to have an impact and you do not wait for a process to exist in order to have this impact
- Flexible, adaptable mindset, open-minded: we try to solve a problem that has never been solved before. Multiple opinions exist on how to do so but nobody has the absolute truth until it is actually done: you know that and you embrace it, you are open to multiple perspectives
- Experience applying functional safety concepts to autonomous vehicles and/or high-performance computing a major plus
What we offer you:
- Competitive compensation packages
- 30 vacation days
- Subsidized daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Professional development reimbursement
- Global Employee assistance program (Offerings include: work-life balance support, mindfulness programs, life coaching, new parent coaching, and more!)
- Local and global discount programs
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.