Company: Argo AI GmbH
Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
Meet the team:
The Argo AI Intellectual Property team handles all aspects of IP on behalf of the company. Our responsibilities range across various areas including curating invention disclosures from technical personnel, assessing novelty and value to the company, extending to managing global patent prosecution and relating filing decisions. The IP team also assesses IP risks stemming from Argo’s commercial endeavors as well as third parties. We also secure protection for Argo trade marks and police unauthorized or confusing use of marks by third parties.
This dynamic team prides itself on being highly nimble and responsive to the quick pace and changing IP needs of the company.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and execute a forward-looking intellectual property strategy to support company business goals
- Cultivate Argo’s IP portfolio, including collaboration within and across business units to identify and capture high value innovation
- Conduct patent research (patentability, freedom to operate, competitive landscape analysis)
- Cost-effectively manage high quality patent prosecution work by outside counsel in a number of different international jurisdictions
- Effectively partner with product development teams to shape IP strategy
- Provide IP subject matter expertise to business units, leadership, as well as legal staff colleagues
- Contribute to educational efforts across the business on IP best practices and other legal matters
- Analyze risks in view of business objectives, third-party IP, and/or other environmental factors, and apply sound tactical approaches to solutions to move the business units forward
- Drive operational excellence within legal and across the business
What you'll need to succeed:
- Presently admitted to practice before the European Patent Office and the German Patent and Trade Mark Office (DPMA)
- Passage of the European Qualification Examination (EQE)
- University technical degree in applicable engineering or natural science, preferably electrical engineering, computer engineering, or computer science (Master degree or equivalent)
- 4 or more years of experience in drafting and prosecuting European patents
- Experience with global utility patent prosecution, design patents, EPO regional phase entry, and EPO opposition proceedings.
- Experience with national and international trademark practice
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English and German)
- Demonstrated strong strategic and analytical thinking
- Proven track record as team player with strong work ethic
- Eager to learn, adapt, and iterate seamlessly in a fast-paced environment
- Exemplify the highest ethical standards
Nice to haves:
- Have prepared at least 100+ patent applications with minimal supervision
- Admitted to practice before additional European Patent Convention (EPC) Contracting States
- Expertise prosecuting computer software, optics, telecommunications, and/or analytical device patents, including experience in patentable subject matter analysis
- Experience practicing in both a large law firm and an in-house legal department
- Experience with open source compliance and software development process
- IP litigation experience in Germany and/or other EPC Contracting States
- Experience drafting license agreements, development agreements, and nondisclosure agreements
- Sensitivity to others; composure under stress; ability to quickly learn and adapt
What we offer you:
- Competitive compensation packages
- 30 vacation days
- Subsidized daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Professional development reimbursement
- Global Employee assistance program (Offerings include: work-life balance support, mindfulness programs, life coaching, new parent coaching, and more!)
- Local and global discount programs
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.