Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
Meet the team
The Autonomy Systems and Safety Engineering team at Argo AI is responsible for developing systems & safety analysis, requirements, architecture, and prototypes of Core Autonomy functions and Fault Management Systems. In addition, a subset of the team is responsible for developing software architecture and safety critical code for the Fault Management Systems (Diagnostics) and integrating it with the rest of the Autonomy system. Systems Software Engineers design safety into the autonomous vehicle systems from the ground up and work with cross functional teams to develop the requirements and software architecture for our fault management system. Systems Software Engineers also develop rapid prototypes related to a wide variety of autonomy functions, including: Perception, Planning, and Fault Management Systems.
What you’ll do:
- Alternate between system engineering activities and software engineering tasks
- Develop and drive cross-functional Systems Architecture and Software Architecture across multiple engineering teams
- Develop design architectures for fault management systems, diagnostic systems, and integrating with Autonomy functions such as Perception, Planning, Controls, etc.
- Pragmatic designs to optimize performance while ensuring safety
- Navigate between top-down system-level requirements & architecture and pragmatic bottom-up design decisions taking into account feedback from engineering teams
- Develop software prototypes to support system-level analyses and design decisions
- Turn early prototypical ideas into structured designs
- Tackle new, non-standard, cross-functional challenges for which you will have to decompose the problems on the fly and drive them to completion even in the absence of standard methods or processes
- General understanding of Autonomy systems, in particular Perception, Prediction, Motion Planning, and Motion Control systems.
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Strong ‘figure-it-out’ mentality when given complex and ambiguous tasks, requiring decisive & pragmatic engineering. You want to have an impact and you do not wait for a process to exist in order to have this impact. If a process is there, you improve it; if it is not, you just solve things with a systematic approach
- Flexible, adaptable mindset, open-minded: we try to solve a problem that has never been solved before. Multiple opinions exist on how to do so but nobody has the absolute truth until it is actually done: you know that and you embrace it, you are open to multiple perspectives.
- Proficient in C++, C, Python
- Ability to develop rapid prototypes as well as product intent code
- Safety critical systems design experience
- Systems engineering fundamentals or similar experience, ex. software engineering fundamentals with a “big picture” mindset
- Strong engineering communication skills, especially the ability to communicate complex engineering issues to a diverse teams with different engineering backgrounds
- Knowledge about ISO-26262, IEC-61508, and/or safety critical system design best practices is a plus
- Experience applying functional safety concepts to autonomous vehicles and/or high-performance computing is a major plus
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.