Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
Meet the team:
Our team solves problems related to the geometric aspects of computer perception. Perception is key to obstacle avoidance, prediction of actor behavior, and planning the motion of the vehicle itself. Our team takes algorithms that allow the vehicle to reason about the world around it from the lab to the road - everything from reading and understanding the research literature to deployment of production-grade vision systems on the vehicle. Understanding a large, messy, unstructured world in real-time is essential to the success of any autonomous robotics program, and one of the most challenging and fulfilling aspects of the work here at Argo.
We’re looking for a talented Staff-level engineer to join us. The ideal candidate is an expert C++ programmer, with domain-relevant experience in computer vision in performance or safety critical environments. You should be comfortable reading papers and working on highly nontrivial problems without obvious solutions. You do not need deep learning expertise, though if you have it, we’ll certainly put it to use.
What you’ll do:
- Architect, design, and implement computer vision systems on an autonomous vehicle platform, balancing trade-offs across a complex solution space where there are often no globally optimal answers.
- Understand where the team’s work fits in the bigger picture, and deliver strategic contributions pushing the company toward our goals. Identify forward-looking opportunities to make strategic contributions and work with management and senior leadership to make them real.
- Act as a force multiplier across the team: mentor and grow more junior members, provide a voice of reason and knowledge, and identify opportunities for improvements that scale the engineering team further.
- Build relationships with upstream and downstream partners and work cross-functionally to deliver high-impact features that meaningfully improve our overall perception system.
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Robotics, or related.
- Expert-level C++ ability, including familiarity with modern C++ features, templates, multiple-inheritance, etc.
- Significant experience writing high-performance code under compute and memory constraints.
- Experience shipping computer vision hardware/software products to industry or consumers.
Nice to haves:
- Significant experience with one or more of: depth estimation, camera calibration, segmentation, nonlinear optimization, or related.
- Knowledgeable about the underlying hardware and behavior of vision sensors, such as cameras or LiDAR systems.
- Experience in sensor fusion.
- Experience with machine learning for computer vision.
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.