Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
Meet the team:
Argo is building self-driving technology that you can trust, and safety is Argo’s foundational value and highest priority. The Safety Policy and Assurance team works directly with U.S. state and federal safety regulators to support the development of emerging autonomous vehicle (AV) regulations. We also work closely with our internal technical experts and our vehicle manufacturing partners to monitor and influence industry standard setting efforts. Finally, we support the development efforts of our internal subject matter experts by providing strategic safety insights.
Argo’s Safety Policy and Assurance team is looking for an AV Safety Regulatory Manager to lead our U.S. efforts focused on autonomous vehicle safety requirements and rule-making. This role is crucial to building Argo’s technical voice with state and federal regulators and policymakers to help shape the emerging AV regulatory landscape.
The position will report directly to Argo’s Director of Safety Policy and Assurance. This person will represent Argo in discussions with state and federal regulators, and advise senior leadership on evolving AV requirements related to testing, certifying, or deploying AVs in the U.S. This individual requires strong leadership and communication skills, as well as sufficient automotive rule-making experience to support federal regulators, technical standard setting bodies, and industry associations dealing with self-driving (SAE Level 4+) technology..
What you’ll do:
- Represent Argo in technical discussions with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and state and municipal transportation departments
- Provide strategic Argo technical positions in the development of self-driving vehicle regulations, certification, and/or reporting requirements
- Work closely with Argo’s Public Policy & Government Relations, Engineering, Communications, and Legal teams on safety-related matters
- Represent Argo in key industry associations, such as the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, Self-driving Coalition for Safer Streets, the Consumer Technology Association, and others to actively support the development of harmonized national and international AV technical requirements
- Advise Argo leadership on AV safety regulatory activities and interpretations
- Communicate effectively, provide leadership, and drive consensus among stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with our OEM partners on matters related to AV requirements
- Develop Argo’s formal rule-making technical responses and submissions
What you'll need to succeed:
- A degree in Engineering or related technical field is required
- 5+ years of working experience in the areas of vehicle rule-making, compliance, and/or certification
- Experience with or working knowledge of NHTSA’s vehicle safety rule-making processes
- Experience interpreting, commenting, and drafting vehicle technical regulations or safety standards
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong leadership skills, abilities to lead cross-functional teams, and successfully drive for results
- Comfortable working at a fast-pace on a diverse range of safety topics
Nice to haves:
- Comfortable working in G-Suite, Jira, Confluence and Slack
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.