Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
At Argo AI, we view internships as an incredibly valuable part of our culture and of our recruiting pipeline. It’s our opportunity to see you in action in a way that is far more informative than an interview. For you, it is an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and character in a real world setting. Moreover, it is an opportunity for personal and professional development while learning something new and contributing to Argo AI’s effort to change the world.
Every intern will be paired with a senior member of our staff who will provide guidance and mentorship for the duration of the internship. Interns are considered contributing members of our project teams and participate in project meetings. So join us* for a unique 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, a fun work environment, and community-building!
Meet the team:
The Camera Hardware team at Argo is responsible for defining and delivering the camera systems that enable our self driving system to perceive the world. The Camera R&D Intern will assist in the development of advanced custom camera hardware that serves as a critical input to Argo’s self-driving system. The camera team owns all aspects of camera technology development, including research, design, test, qualification, and deployment of Argo’s camera systems. Camera engineers work with a cross-functional team of Argo hardware and software engineers as well as outside suppliers to actualize designs and bring them into production.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and execute methods for verification and validation of Argo’s camera systems
- Design and utilize test setups to collect and characterize camera performance in the lab and on vehicles
- Evaluate image quality of camera prototypes
- Analyze image sensor, lens, and camera module test data from suppliers
- Assist in failure analysis and debug efforts related to camera bring-up and deployment
- Collaborate with software engineering teams on image processing techniques, calibration methods, and novel approaches to imaging for autonomous vehicles
What you'll need to succeed:
- Pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics or a related field. Must be enrolled in a full time degree program at the time of the internship and for the semester following the internship (Fall 2021).
- Strong Python skills, with experience in image processing and/or data analysis
- Experience working with sensor hardware (camera, lidar, radar, etc)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience with hardware debugging tools and methods
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Passion for solving challenging, impactful problems
- Note: At this time, Argo AI is only able to support remote internships in the following states: CA, CT, DC, FL, GA, MA, MD, MI, NC, NJ, NY, PA, TX, VA, WA.
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with camera performance metrics like dynamic range, SNR, SFR, and color accuracy
- Knowledge of robotics systems
- C/C++ experience, Windows Development, Visual Studio
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.