Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
Meet the team:
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all. Within this organization, the Functional Architecture systems team at Argo AI is responsible for defining the top level functionality and requirements of the self driving system and following through with functional and requirements decomposition, definition of the functional architecture and allocation of functionality to the various subsystems and modules that comprise the autonomous vehicle.
Argo AI is looking for an individual to define the top level perception architecture in coordination with the hardware, software and product teams. This person will be responsible for ensuring that the perception system has the “right design” from an algorithmic, software, sensing, compute, safety and verification perspective. To achieve this, the person will define and study multiple alternative architectures, perform trade studies, flow down requirements, coordinate design verification tests, and develop analysis tools to make intelligent data-based recommendations.
Successful candidates will be able to step back and see the big picture of the autonomous system while also having the technical depth in field-proven robotics-perception systems to be able to deep dive and review or implement new software or hardware features. Additionally, this individual will have strong leadership abilities and communication skills to gather consensus amongst the relevant stakeholders across the company and communicate findings and recommendations to the executive team in order to drive key, high impact decisions within Argo AI’s fast-paced autonomous vehicle program.
What you’ll do:
- Guide the multi-disciplinary engineering teams to achieve the right design that is compatible with the product needs and program rollout schedule at an acceptable level of technical risk
- Use a systems-level, data-driven approach to drive decision making
- Operate as the requirements owner and system architect to a level of depth that is mutually understood between the systems and design teams
- Decompose perception requirements down to the different sensing modalities as well as to provide verifiable requirements for the major software functions, including detection, classification and tracking
- Develop and apply models and tools at the level of fidelity and scope necessary to enable the organization to make effective decisions
- Follow the journey of hardware and software evolution to confirm that the designs are correctly interpreting and implementing system requirements - surface new issues and take corrective actions as needed
- Partner with test and simulation teams in the formulation of a plan that ensures verification coverage for the perception functionality of the self-driving system
- Lead and communicate effectively to make recommendations and drive consensus amongst all stakeholders (executive team, product, customer, engineering, test)
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- 5+ years experience in robotics perception, autonomous vehicle, aerospace, automotive or related mission critical fields
- Broad technical domain knowledge of autonomous vehicles or similar autonomous robotic systems
- Ability to rapid prototype and review code (C++, Python, Matlab)
- Deep knowledge on the workings of several state-of-the-art sensing technologies, specifically their strengths and limitations
- Solid understanding of the math, physics and other sciences pertinent to the application
- Experience in seeing the full life cycle of a product from concept to validation
- Knowledge of modern systems engineering techniques, tools and processes
- Strong communication skills and leadership abilities to work with cross-functional engineering teams and drive towards decisions
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.