Who we are:
Argo AI is in the business of building self-driving technology you can trust. With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s largest automakers, we’re building self-driving technology that is engineered to scale globally and transform mobility for millions.
Talented individuals join our team because they share our purpose to make it safe, easy, and enjoyable for everyone to get around cities. We aspire to impact key industries that move people and goods, from ride hailing to deliveries.
Meet the team:
Tracking is a core technical problem for L4 self-driving vehicles and a key part of our autonomy stack. Self-driving cars need to track actors and estimate velocities around the vehicle to enable rapid and accurate decision making. The implementation must meet rigorous real-time constraints and report stable tracks for the car to accurately identify the 3D state of the world. Ultimately, we must not only solve the algorithm challenges but produce safety-quality high performance software. So this position is as much a software challenge as it is a core algorithm challenge.
We are looking for hands on candidates who can set the vision for, grow, and lead a strong technical team with a mix of vision, probabilistic filtering and LiDAR algorithm experience and strong software experience. We are looking for a team lead who will be deep in code, and is technically strong in software and strong in tracking algorithms -- segmentation, clustering, data association, multi-extended object tracking and filtering, MHT or other registration algorithms. Candidates need not have worked on self-driving, or robotics applications.
What you’ll do:
- Responsible for the component of the self driving vehicle keeping track in space and time of objects around the car and estimating their velocities
- Leading the team to advance the algorithmic performance through pragmatic and rigorous A vs B evaluations using a mix of state of the art or “classical” techniques
- Ensure that the algorithms are integrated within our onboard infrastructure and hardware, are robustly implemented and run in real time
- Coordinate with data collection to select and label relevant data to improve our tracking algorithms and develop metrics by which the tracking system is evaluated
- Manage a team of ~7 engineers and researchers
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Experienced software engineer working on problems with advanced algorithms or researcher with a track record of real world applications involving solid software engineering
- Managed or tech lead small teams
- Strong theoretical and practical applied knowledge of relevant subsets of tracking-relevant algorithms is required
- Strong software engineering skills using C++ are required. If the candidate is not already an expert in C++, a willingness to gain stronger software engineering knowledge in this language is required
- Strong leadership skills suitable for recruiting, leading and managing a team of engineers to solve a challenging problem and build a critical component of a real-time system
- We are building a product, so candidates with hands on experience that have deployed real products or platforms and intimately understand the challenges of working with complex systems are highly desired
- Strong presentation and communication skills are desired
- Managed or tech lead small teams
- Real-time applications
- Kalman Filtering
- Image or LIDAR-based Tracking
- Multiple Object Tracking
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid medical leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.