Argo AI was founded to tackle one of the most challenging applications in computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence with self-driving vehicles. Argo AI is developing and deploying the latest advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to help build safe and efficient self-driving vehicles that enable these transformations and more. The challenges are significant, but we are a team that believes in tackling hard, meaningful problems to improve the world.
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all.
The Argo AI Motion Controls team is responsible for generating a safe and comfortable ride experience. To deliver this in real world scenarios, many competing objectives and constraints must be balanced. The Motion Controls team utilizes real time numerical optimization techniques to optimally balance these objectives / constraints both during the generation of the planned path, and also during the following of this path. This role will require the candidate to design and implement fast and reliable numerical optimization routines to be executed onboard the Argo AI autonomous vehicle. The expected execution time of the developed algorithms is on the order of milliseconds. This will require the candidate to work with the state of the art in numerical optimization algorithms as well as their efficient implementation.
What you’ll do:
- Propose numerical optimization algorithms best suited to solve the problems formulated for autonomous vehicle path planning and path following
- Execute trade studies to provide a data driven view of the pros/cons of different algorithms for our application
- Implement selected algorithms as high quality / well tested C++ libraries
- Study implemented algorithm performance, for example, via Monte Carlo study to fully understand bounds of convergence and propose convergence guarantees
- Study algorithm performance when deployed to autonomous vehicle fleet, analyzing aggregated performance data
- Propose changes to optimization problem formulation in order to achieve performance and robustness improvements
- Propose changes to optimization problem formulation in order to allow for more descriptive objective and constraint functions to be utilized
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Proven expertise in implementing high performance numerical optimization routines
- Experience with convex optimization techniques and convex approximations of non-convex problems
- Experience with implementing linear and/or quadratic programming optimization routines
- Proven expertise in numerical linear algebra routines
- Strong software skills are required but we are language agnostic. A willingness to gain stronger software engineering knowledge, deep expertise in C++ and some python is required
- Industry experience in the area of numerical optimization is desired
- An understanding of Model Predictive Control concepts is desired
- Hands on experience with real platforms with an intimate understanding of the challenges of working with complex systems and a quantitative/data driven approach to improve system performance are desired
- Strong presentation and communication skills are desired
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others across a broad range of disciplines.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We know it takes competitive benefits to fuel a team that works hard and enjoys the challenge. At Argo AI, you can expect stellar perks to support your best self:
- High-quality individual and family health, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Free onsite or adjacent parking
- Commuter reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Professional development reimbursement
Argo AI is a LinkedIn Top 50 Startup