Argo AI was founded to tackle one of the most challenging applications in computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence with self-driving vehicles. Argo AI is developing and deploying the latest advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to help build safe and efficient self-driving vehicles that enable these transformations and more. The challenges are significant, but we are a team that believes in tackling hard, meaningful problems to improve the world.
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all.
Our lidar team has a decade of history in delivering Geiger-mode and laser products for other industries, and we are optimizing these technologies for automotive-oriented mass production. Our design is novel from a technical standpoint and offers performance essential to scaling the deployment of driverless cars. The laser transmitter is a key element of this novel lidar. Because of the integrated nature of this design, our Hardware Engineer, Device Designers will regularly interface with cross-functional engineers to design within the constraints and performance requirements of the lidar and autonomy system.
What you’ll do:
- Develop laser transmitters for automotive lidars
- Perform modeling of laser diode devices and simulation of system designs based on laser diodes
- Develop test stations for laser diode and laser system characterization
- Work with III-V foundries on new and existing technology for integration into laser diode designs
- Work with transmitter team to meet performance, mechanical, thermal and reliability requirements
- Test and characterize prototypes for device functionality and performance
- Support lidar system integration and testing
- Work with contract manufacturers in support of product engineering, design transfer to volume production, and automotive qualification
- Develop comprehensive documentation of designs, test plans, test results and analysis
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics or a related field
- Strong history of industry experience in novel product design including recent experience owning & delivering on the full lifecycle of a product development; from initial requirements generation, prototyping and troubleshooting, through transfer to contract manufacturing in a fast-paced environment
- Strong skills in device simulations, including semiconductor device, thermal, structural mechanics, electromagnetic, and optical design. Preference for candidates with working experience in the Comsol toolset
- Working knowledge of high power semiconductor lasers, including characterization, micro-optic alignment, laser system design, etc.
- Experience in III-V laser diode processing
- Experience developing complex hardware systems in automotive and robotics, aerospace, consumer electronics, defense, medical or similar industries
- Experience writing robust engineering documentation used by cross-functional teams
- Prefer experience in functional testing, reliability testing, and qualification of complex systems
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others across a broad range of disciplines.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We know it takes competitive benefits to fuel a team that works hard and enjoys the challenge. At Argo AI, you can expect stellar perks to support your best self:
- High-quality individual and family health, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Free onsite or adjacent parking
- Commuter reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Professional development reimbursement
Argo AI is a LinkedIn Top 50 Startup