Argo AI was founded to tackle one of the most challenging applications in computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence with self-driving vehicles. Argo AI is developing and deploying the latest advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to help build safe and efficient self-driving vehicles that enable these transformations and more. The challenges are significant, but we are a team that believes in tackling hard, meaningful problems to improve the world.
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all. Within this organization, the Functional Architecture systems team at Argo AI is responsible for defining the top level functionality and requirements of the self driving system and following through with functional and requirements decomposition, definition of the functional architecture and allocation of functionality to the various subsystems and modules that comprise the autonomous vehicle.
Argo AI is looking for an individual to define the top level perception architecture in coordination with the hardware, software and product teams. This person will be responsible for ensuring that the perception system has the “right design” from an algorithmic, software, sensing, compute, safety and verification perspective. To achieve this, the person will define and study multiple alternative architectures, perform trade studies, flow down requirements, coordinate design verification tests, and develop analysis tools to make intelligent data-based recommendations.
Successful candidates will be able to step back and see the big picture of the autonomous system while also having the technical depth in field-proven robotics-perception systems to be able to deep dive and review or implement new software or hardware features. Additionally, this individual will have strong leadership abilities and communication skills to gather consensus amongst the relevant stakeholders across the company and communicate findings and recommendations to the executive team in order to drive key, high impact decisions within Argo AI’s fast-paced autonomous vehicle program.
What you’ll do:
- Guide the multi-disciplinary engineering teams to achieve the right design that is compatible with the product needs and program rollout schedule at an acceptable level of technical risk
- Use a systems-level, data-driven approach to drive decision making
- Operate as the requirements owner and system architect to a level of depth that is mutually understood between the systems and design teams
- Decompose perception requirements down to the different sensing modalities as well as to provide verifiable requirements for the major software functions, including detection, classification and tracking
- Develop and apply models and tools at the level of fidelity and scope necessary to enable the organization to make effective decisions
- Follow the journey of hardware and software evolution to confirm that the designs are correctly interpreting and implementing system requirements - surface new issues and take corrective actions as needed
- Partner with test and simulation teams in the formulation of a plan that ensures verification coverage for the perception functionality of the self-driving system
- Lead and communicate effectively to make recommendations and drive consensus amongst all stakeholders (executive team, product, customer, engineering, test)
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- 5+ years experience in robotics perception, autonomous vehicle, aerospace, automotive or related mission critical fields
- Broad technical domain knowledge of autonomous vehicles or similar autonomous robotic systems
- Ability to rapid prototype and review code (C++, Python, Matlab)
- Deep knowledge on the workings of several state-of-the-art sensing technologies, specifically their strengths and limitations
- Solid understanding of the math, physics and other sciences pertinent to the application
- Experience in seeing the full life cycle of a product from concept to validation
- Knowledge of modern systems engineering techniques, tools and processes
- Strong communication skills and leadership abilities to work with cross-functional engineering teams and drive towards decisions
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others across a broad range of disciplines.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We know it takes competitive benefits to fuel a team that works hard and enjoys the challenge. At Argo AI, you can expect stellar perks to support your best self:
- High-quality individual and family health, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Free onsite or adjacent parking
- Commuter reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Professional development reimbursement
Argo AI is a LinkedIn Top 50 Startup