Argo AI was founded to tackle one of the most challenging applications in computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence with self-driving vehicles. Argo AI is developing and deploying the latest advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to help build safe and efficient self-driving vehicles that enable these transformations and more. The challenges are significant, but we are a team that believes in tackling hard, meaningful problems to improve the world.
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all.
The Argo AI Motion Planning & Controls team is the team that brings all of the autonomy inputs together. The team is responsible for taking perception, prediction, and mapping inputs and combining them to generate a safe, yet comfortable ride. This role will require gaining a strong understanding of the entire autonomous vehicle system, and in depth understanding of the motion planning and controls stack. The role will include dedicated time on car working to understand top priority issues, digging into the root cause, and then working with the team to resolve these issues. This will involve time in car taking notes, analysis of logs, debugging and quickly improving the performance of the vehicle, supporting designs for long term solutions, and development and integration of the system’s high-level decision making and trajectory selection algorithms. This includes route planning, reasoning about lane geometry, intersections, traffic light decision making, lane changes, merging, other actors on the road (such as vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists, etc.), trajectory generation, and ride comfort among other things.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with Motion Planning and Control teams to make rapid improvements to the autonomous vehicle
- Spend significant time on car working to correlate data with on vehicle experience. Using that experience to focus efforts improving metrics that measure and correlate with on vehicle experience
- Develop tools to assist log analysis, and Motion Planning & Control team’s ability to debug, diagnose, and improve the autonomy system
- Collaborate with Motion Planning and Control teams to make system-wide software improvements including defining system-wide interfaces and data structures, defining software conventions and best practices for Motion Planning and Control code
- Ownership of task level code, ensuring tasks integrate well across the system and operate efficiently
- Implement, maintain, and improve operator interfaces such as remote guidance and operator alerts
- Support design and development of objective log-based analysis to evaluate the Motion Planning & Controls stack and its individual components. Evaluation modalities include simulation, re-simulation through to on vehicle testing
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Experience with autonomous vehicle systems is desired
- Strong applied skills in subsets of Motion Planning and how to turn them into efficient and well maintained code with robust error checking: Motion/trajectory planning and route planning applied to land, air, space, or water-based robots such as behavioral planning, shortest path, obstacle avoidance, A*, D*, lattice, and RRT to name a few
- Hands on experience with real platforms and with an intimate understanding of the challenges of working with complex systems and a quantitative/data driven approach to improve system performance
- Experience building systems that must convey intent as well as making optimal decisions and/or interact with humans on a regular basis, preferred
- Strong software skills are required but we are language agnostic. A willingness to gain stronger software engineering knowledge and deep expertise in C++ and some python is required
- Strong presentation and communication skills are desired
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others across a broad range of disciplines.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We know it takes competitive benefits to fuel a team that works hard and enjoys the challenge. At Argo AI, you can expect stellar perks to support your best self:
- High-quality individual and family health, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Free onsite or adjacent parking
- Commuter reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Professional development reimbursement
Argo AI is a LinkedIn Top 50 Startup