Argo AI was founded to tackle one of the most challenging applications in computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence with self-driving vehicles. Argo AI is developing and deploying the latest advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to help build safe and efficient self-driving vehicles that enable these transformations and more. The challenges are significant, but we are a team that believes in tackling hard, meaningful problems to improve the world.
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all.
Tracking is a core technical problem for L4 self-driving vehicles and a key part of our autonomy stack. Self-driving cars need to track actors and estimate velocities around the vehicle to enable rapid and accurate decision making. The implementation must meet rigorous real-time constraints and report stable tracks for the car to accurately identify the 3D state of the world. Ultimately, we must not only solve the algorithm challenges but produce safety-quality high performance software. So this position is as much a software challenge as it is a core algorithm challenge.
We are looking for hands on candidates who can set the vision for, grow, and lead a strong technical team with a mix of vision, probabilistic filtering and LiDAR algorithm experience and strong software experience. We are looking for a team lead who will be deep in code, and is technically strong in software and strong in tracking algorithms -- segmentation, clustering, data association, multi-extended object tracking and filtering, MHT or other registration algorithms. Candidates need not have worked on self-driving, or robotics applications.
What you’ll do:
- Responsible for the component of the self driving vehicle keeping track in space and time of objects around the car and estimating their velocities
- Leading the team to advance the algorithmic performance through pragmatic and rigorous A vs B evaluations using a mix of state of the art or “classical” techniques
- Ensure that the algorithms are integrated within our onboard infrastructure and hardware, are robustly implemented and run in real time
- Coordinate with data collection to select and label relevant data to improve our tracking algorithms and develop metrics by which the tracking system is evaluated
- Manage a team of ~7 engineers and researchers
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Experienced software engineer working on problems with advanced algorithms or researcher with a track record of real world applications involving solid software engineering
- Managed or tech lead small teams
- Strong theoretical and practical applied knowledge of relevant subsets of tracking-relevant algorithms is required
- Strong software engineering skills using C++ are required. If the candidate is not already an expert in C++, a willingness to gain stronger software engineering knowledge in this language is required
- Strong leadership skills suitable for recruiting, leading and managing a team of engineers to solve a challenging problem and build a critical component of a real-time system
- We are building a product, so candidates with hands on experience that have deployed real products or platforms and intimately understand the challenges of working with complex systems are highly desired
- Strong presentation and communication skills are desired
- Managed or tech lead small teams
- Real-time applications
- Kalman Filtering
- Image or LIDAR-based Tracking
- Multiple Object Tracking
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others across a broad range of disciplines.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We know it takes competitive benefits to fuel a team that works hard and enjoys the challenge. At Argo AI, you can expect stellar perks to support your best self:
- High-quality individual and family health, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Free onsite or adjacent parking
- Commuter reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Professional development reimbursement
Argo AI is a LinkedIn Top 50 Startup