Argo AI was founded to tackle one of the most challenging applications in computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence with self-driving vehicles. Argo AI is developing and deploying the latest advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to help build safe and efficient self-driving vehicles that enable these transformations and more. The challenges are significant, but we are a team that believes in tackling hard, meaningful problems to improve the world.
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all.
The Camera Engineering team is responsible for the design and development of advanced custom camera hardware that serves as a critical input to Argo’s self-driving system. The Camera Engineering team owns all aspects of camera technology development, including research, design, test, qualification, and deployment of Argo AI’s camera systems. The Camera Image Processing Engineer will work with a cross-functional team of Argo AI hardware and software engineers to actualize ISP designs and algorithms and bring them into production.
What you’ll do:
- Work with the compute, sensors, and perception teams to define the requirements for camera ISP solutions for Argo’s self-driving system
- Develop and prototype algorithms for ISP functions including demosaic, defect correction, color correction, tone mapping, and other advanced features
- Design and implement ISP algorithms in FPGA hardware
- Conduct trade studies to evaluate existing market solutions for ISPs
- Collaborate with algorithm and software teams to define and implement auto-exposure and auto-white balance algorithms
- Execute verification and validation activities for deployment in production automotive environments
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related field
- Detailed understanding of each step of a camera ISP pipeline
- Strong experience prototyping image processing algorithms in Matlab and C
- Understanding of color science, CMOS image sensors, and imaging optics
- Understanding of objective image quality metrics like SFR, SNR, delta E
- Experience working with HDR image data
- Experience with hardware debugging tools and methods desired
- Experience with HDL (VHDL, Verilog) desired
- Experience with FPGA design and verification flows desired
- Experience with High Level Synthesis (HLS) tools desired
- Experience with verification tools (ModelSim, VCS) desired
- Ability to write concise, clear, and detailed engineering documentation
- Experience developing design requirements, conducting trade studies, developing prototype designs, executing design analysis / simulation, integrating prototypes, conducting verification / validation testing, debugging design failures, and deploying designs to production
- A record of owning projects successfully and working in a fast paced environment
- Ability to serve cross functional roles in a young company
- Quantitative / analytical mindset to probe, test and decompose challenging system problems into root cause issues with strong, detail oriented skills to solve them
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Designing systems requiring high levels of reliability and functional safety (ISO26262)
- Designing hardware components for robotics / automotive systems including sensing, localization, processing and communication protocols
- Developing highly complex hardware systems in robotics, transportation, aerospace, consumer electronics, defense, medical, energy, or similar industries
Additional Requirements: Possible occasional travel to remote offices, test facilities, engineering partners, or manufacturing partners.
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others across a broad range of disciplines.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We know it takes competitive benefits to fuel a team that works hard and enjoys the challenge. At Argo AI, you can expect stellar perks to support your best self:
- High-quality individual and family health, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Free onsite or adjacent parking
- Commuter reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Professional development reimbursement
Argo AI is a LinkedIn Top 50 Startup